Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
DUNN96
    Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:41 am

I have been welding 2G and 5G pipes lately practising for testing. The pipe is about 75mm ID with a 6mm wall. I just wanted to see how many runs everyone uses to complete a similar joint? I can do the 5G in 3 runs (root, hotpass and cap) but the 2G is really pushing it to get it in 3. it seems to work a lot better in 4 passes.

this is the root run after turning the amps down a touch and focusing on my torch ad filler rod angle. it makes all the difference ;)

cheers
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Simple answer is it takes what it takes. There are WPS' that require a certain amount and arrangement of passes. If nothing is specified, fill it however it makes sense or to meet the requirements.
-Jonathan
Mongol
    Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:56 pm

I wouldn't worry about trying to get it in a certain number of passes. If you try and fill it up too fast, say, by using wire that's too big for what you're doing, there's a good chance of getting lack of fusion and voids.

If it takes an extra pass or two, so be it. Don't try to force it.
DUNN96

thanks for the replies. just had me curious about the different positions seeming to take different a different number of passes, the 5G position seems to be a lot easier for me to fill, I don't really force the wire in I just hold it in there and let the puddle take it. I use 2.4mm filler. i'll just keep welding until I find for certain what works for me :D
Adam's Got Skills
    Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:32 pm

I definitely agree that what it takes is what it takes. It's better to just use smaller passes and just doing an extra pass or two. It'll help keep it uniform, and prevent lack of fusion as mentioned before.
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Welcome to the forum.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
simondk
    Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:40 pm

5-6pass :)

O O Or
O O O O
O O O
O O A simpel drawing :)
Simon j.
    Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:34 am

On 2 inch tig all out, my instructor said he only allows 2 cap passes(2g). Won't grade it with 3.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk
DUNN96

thanks for all the replies, another question I have. Do most of you do 2 capping runs on a 2g vertical axis pipe? I haven't really tried running 2 stringers for the cap but it may make it easier to beat gravity? i don't seem to have any trouble at all capping a 5g pipe with a single weave.
what do you gust prefer for capping 2g, stringers or a single weave?
    Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:34 am

I did 2 cap passes on mine. Used 3/32 filler.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk