Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
fabadap
    Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:28 pm

Need your feedback on the new rare earth material for TIGGING (thin/thick) Aluminum and mild steel....different settings vs normal :?:
Syncrowave 200
Hobart 175 MIG
Hypertherm plasma
O/A torch
Old Lincoln buzz box
Tons of grinders
bandsaw
lathe
Wobulate
    Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:30 am

fabadap,

Which RE elements are you referring to (there are 17)?
Who makes the electrode with what combination of RE elements?

Wob
WOB
Lincoln,Precision TIG225
Miller,Millermatic 251
Miller,Spoolmatic 30A
Miller,Millermatic 130XP
Miller,Spectrum 625
Miller,Thunderbolt 225AC
KMG,Belt Grinder/2x72
Ingersoll Rand,Compressor/5HP
MSC/Vectrax,Band Saw Horizontal-Vertical/7x12
fabadap
    Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:28 pm

Wobulate.....let me be more specific in my request regarding "rare earth tungsten".
I would like some input on "Weldcraft Tungsten Electrodes" and if ok to use in my Syncrowave 200
I used one the other day and seems to work pretty well with Al but I would appreciate forum feedback.
TYPE: Rare Earth Tungsten (EWG)....size: 3/32" x 7"
Applications: DC or AC inverters
Alloying Element: Cerium,Lanthamum, Yttrium, and others
Composition: 97.3% Tungsten, Balance: Cerium,Lanthanum,Yttrium, and others
Material welded: all
Syncrowave 200
Hobart 175 MIG
Hypertherm plasma
O/A torch
Old Lincoln buzz box
Tons of grinders
bandsaw
lathe
Sarge

Tig Alum. is addressed by Jody. He recommends 2% Lan. or 2% Thor. The Thor works very well, and maybe even a smidge better than the Lan. for aluminum. Both have a cleaner arc than the 100%. We use them all the time and weld about 98% alum. here at the plant. www.innovativeh2o.com
Be Innovative.
Goal is perfection, but excellence is Acceptable.
Powermig 255C
Powermig 350MP x2
175 squarewave
Weld-pac 100
Hypertherm 600
Hypertherm 1250
sschefer
    Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:44 pm

I tried the tri-mix's from Arc-Zone, I suspect they're the same ones you bought. They were o.k. but I like the Sylvania 1.5% lanthinated the best. 2% thor has an advantage. You can buy it just about anywhere now and it all seems to work about the same no matter who makes it.

Something to consider... One working better than the other is really all about heat. If your weld calls for a lot of heat and you're spitting tungstens then first try a different grind angle and if that doesn't work, go up a size. A lot of guys say use the smallest tungsten you can get away with and I fully agree but if your 3/32 is spitting then it's too small and your not getting away with it.
Highly skilled at turning expensive pieces of metal into useless but recyclable crap..
Cjfabs
    Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:08 pm

Here is a PDF that explains it all. http://www.diamondground.com/TungstenGuidebook2011.pdf I personally use 1.5% Lanthenated. Adjusting your Tungsten grind is important as well. I have three boxes of Thoriated Tungsten and will not touch the stuff. I also use a Dynasty 200 and Dynasty 350. The non inverter based welders, i.e. Syncrowave, do not seem to respond as well to the rare earth tungstens. With the inverter based machines, specifically the Dynasty 350, you can adjust the EP and EN amps independently ( AC )from one another allowing you to keep a fairly sharp tungsten while still getting the cleaning and penetration desired. Cheers and good luck.
kermdawg
    Tue May 25, 2010 8:16 pm

I have three boxes of Thoriated Tungsten and will not touch the stuff.
Why?

Only way I will ever use lanthanated is if someone else is payin for it. Thoriated works perfectly fine for me at 1/4 of the price. Radiation? We're being exposed to more radiation from the environment than we would be exposed to grinding thousands of boxes of thoriated tungsten.
Signature? Who needs a F***ing signature?
Cjfabs

Lanthanated is not expensive. Check out eBay. $10-$14 per pack for 1/16. Thorium is actually higher for good quality. And breathing in fine thorium dust is very bad health wise. Read about. Lanthananted out performs as long as it's not over loaded with amps. READ THE LINK.
kermdawg

Id argue that thoriated radiation stuff with anybody but I wont :) If your that worried about the "radiation" buy an enclosed tungsten grinder. Their great and will pay for themselves in time saved, eventually. Perfect grind every time.
Lanthanated is not expensive. Check out eBay. $10-$14 per pack for 1/16.
So your sayin crappy lanthanated is better than good quality thoriated?

Look at the 3/32 and 1/8 lanthanated and tell me its not expensive. Than look at a -decent- quality thoriated. It'll be around 1/3 the cost.
Cjfabs

Crappy is crappy. We all know that. Apples to apples I buy lanthenated, same manufacturer, for less money than Thoriated. My sales guy tells me it's the, MUST BE NEW SO IT'S MORE EXPENSIVE, deal. Granted when it first came out, Lanthenated was very pricey. Run Thoriated, I don't care. Lanthenated is my choice 100% of the time. With having to weld Aluminum with an x-ray called out, it's what I have confidence in. It's like the bait you go to when you roll up on a 15 lb. Bass beading down. You pull out the bait you have the chance at landing her with.
kermdawg

I buy lanthenated, same manufacturer, for less money than Thoriated
Who/where are you buyin from? I get my tungstens from airgas, and it was 45 dollars for a pack of 10 3/32x7 1.5 lanth tungstens (thats after my discount, which was pretty substaintial. They listed for around 60 dollars.) I bought a pack of 2%thoriated for 23 dollars (which listed at 35). Both Radnor, same manufactorer.

Your gettin quite a good deal if your prices are the same.

Edit-The was I look at tungsten-If I'm buyin it, its thoriated. If someone else is, Ill use lanth. I dont have anything against it, its great stuff. I just dont think that thorium is any worse :)
dgarnier
    Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:36 pm

weldingsupply.com has them for 18.99 a 10 pack

Weldcraft Tungsten, 1.5% Lanthanated, 3/32" x 7" Details $18.99
ogorir
    Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:04 pm

what are you paying for thoriated, kerm? both list around $62 at arc-zone for 3/32. sylvania branded. the house brand (amplify) are about half that. I'd put radnor down with house brand stuff. I personally think they're crap, but I can't say I had problems with their tungstens when I was working for my dad (he used airgas. I hate airgas and anyone else that buys up a bunch of mom and pops and starts charging double.)

dgarnier is right, though. weldingsupply always has the best prices. until you look at their wholesale arm, weldwarehouse. the WORST website ever, but you can get the 11" tong vice grips for $12.56, so I buy from them when I need vice grips.
kermdawg

Ill have to check em out.

I buy my tungsten at Airgas or Nevada compressed Gas. Airgas is alot easier for me to get to.

The "list" price, at airgas, is the price you pay on the website. If you actually walk in the store, you are almost guarenteed a better deal, with minimum bargaining.

I walked into the airgas around here (differant store) first time, didnt know anybody, and bought some 3/32 thoriated. List price was like 30 or 35 bucks, he bumped it down to 22, and all I said was "Dang, that seems expensive!". He probably wouldve done the same with the lanthanated.

I bought radnor brand because it was the cheapest and I wasnt doing x-ray welds, just practicin on some plate and some pipe. I didnt have any problems with em for what I used em for.

Like I said, if someone else is payin for it, Ill buy lanth. But if I'm payin for it, Ill buy thoriated. If their both the same price ill take lanth though.
dgarnier
    Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:36 pm

where did you find the 11" tong vice grips - I was going to stop by later this week to pick up some more filler rod and a few more cups
ogorir

at weldwarehouse.com, search for '11r' for the standard tips or '11sp' for the swivel pads. the 11r's are hit #8, the 11sp's are the last hit.

that works for all the vise grips and is pretty much the only way to find them. they also have good prices on the irwin light-duty C clamps. the 3" ones are like $1.50 and are damn handy.
jakeru
    Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:30 pm

Sometimes it seems like there is no rhyme or reason to tungsten pricing.

I asked my local welding supply if they had any zirconiated tungsten I could try out. They tried to sell me a single stick of 3/32" zirconiated for a little over $15. :shock:

I am giving my most recent tungsten business to Diamond Ground products, because they have provided me with free samples (got some zirconiated on the way) and they have reasonable prices to boot.

HTP has really good prices on a limited selection of tungstens (pure, thoriated, ceriated, lanthanted), in four sizes:
.040" - $.80 / ea
1/16" - $.90 / ea
3/32" - $1.50 / ea
1/8" - $2.50 / ea
ogorir

I forgot about them. I got some of their tri-mix and cryo-t as samples shortly after I sopped working for my dad. as such, they're still sitting in the bag. their customer service was good, and you get 20% off your first order of you ask for samples.

I think it's high time to buy a damn tig welder. I have a bunch of 2-stroke expansion chambers to do soon that I'd like to do in stainless. and I haven't welded TIG since september :shock:
kermdawg

Wow those are absolutely killer prices.
supertig
    Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:03 pm

I weld everything with 2% thoriated,but i have used 2% ceriated a little.It works good but will erode faster!