Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
chadmh91
    Fri May 16, 2014 8:35 pm

How do you know what size cup to use???
    Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:14 am

I start with a 10 (5/8) gas lense cup and go down in size to fit in tight spaces,extend tungsten to see with out too much back tilt.
Everlast 250EX
Miller 250 syncrowave
Sharp LMV Vertical Mill
Takisawa TSL-800-D Lathe
Coupla Bandsaws,Grinders,surface grinder,tool/cutter grinder
and more stuff than I deserve(Thanks Significant Other)
gamble
    Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:10 pm

Depends on what you are doing.
I do a lot of aluminum so a #8 is enough for me.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Yup, depends on what you're doing. Big enough to shield the arc, puddle, and tungsten, but not so big that you're just wasting argon. So what are you doing?
chadmh91
    Fri May 16, 2014 8:35 pm

I am welding 2in SCH 80 pipe, what cup should I use??
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Not often I do this - but I freehand it & find a No.6 is adequate for gas cover on carbon steel ( root run ) - I like the smaller cup for visibility but if you walk the cup it's probably easier with a larger one - say an 8 ( some like larger )- I doubt there is an absolute right & wrong here so it's more personal choice or your welding style as long as you get decent gas cover - if it's Tig all the way you probably want to change to a bigger cup once the root is in - sure others will chime in & I expect in the next segment of Jodies Tig video he'll cover this as he's just done torches.
TwentyFourSeven
    Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:41 pm

I like DD's. :D
Lincoln Precision Tig 225
    Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:48 am

TwentyFourSeven wrote:I like DD's. :D
I was just waiting for that to pop up!
I wondered how long it would take... :D
EWM Phonenix 355 Pulse MIG set mainly for Aluminum, CIGWeld 300Amp AC/DC TIG, TRANSMIG S3C 300 Amp MIG, etc, etc
dirtmidget33
    Tue May 13, 2014 5:22 pm

I hate to admit it with all the tig stuff I collected torches, lens, cups but. . .
17 torch
3/32 gas lens with 2% lanthanited tungsten
#8 cup
Is what I normally use for everything I do for the most part, and could prolly even go down a cup size and would not notice. Just my thoughts.
why use standard nozzles after gas lens where invented. Kinda of like starting fires by rubbing sticks together.
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

I also start with a gas lens and a number 8 Cup....I free hand and walk the cup with that size
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB