Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
jrogers80
    Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:13 pm

Are there any ac pulsed machines and is ac pulse used by anyone? i see dc pulsed machines but when would ac pulse be used?
    Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:23 am

Hello and welcome to forum :)

Yes there is. Usually AC/DC machines does also have pulsing-function. Pulse can be used basicly anywhere, but mostly it helps on thin plate and pipe for example.

Jody have done at least one video about welding aluminium with pulse.

kmRqaSvcyAU
-Markus-
    Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:48 am

jrogers80 wrote:Are there any ac pulsed machines and is ac pulse used by anyone? i see dc pulsed machines but when would ac pulse be used?
One of my machines is a CIGWeld 300 AC/DC. It has pulse for both AC and DC, and has adjustable parameters for pulse width etc. AC pulse can be used successfully on aluminum. I sometimes use this feature myself.

From the manual:

The Pulse controls are used primarily to control heat input. Pulse offers a number of advantages as follows:
1) Control puddle – size and fluidity (especially out of position).
2) Increase penetration
3) Travel speed control
4) Better consistent quality
5) Decreased distortion on lighter or thinner materials
Pulse-current provides a system in which the welding current continuously changes between two levels.
During the periods of Peak current, heating and fusion takes place, and during the background (base) current
periods, cooling and solidification take place. Pulse Width is the time in one cycle the current remains at the
peak current setting. Pulse Frequency, measured in Hertz, is the number of cycles per second the current
travels between peak and background current settings.
Attachments
2014-09-18_10-36-46.jpg
2014-09-18_10-36-46.jpg (68.26 KiB) Viewed 606 times
EWM Phonenix 355 Pulse MIG set mainly for Aluminum, CIGWeld 300Amp AC/DC TIG, TRANSMIG S3C 300 Amp MIG, etc, etc
TwentyFourSeven
    Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:41 pm

I just started tig welding thin aluminum a month ago. The machine I bought has an adjustable pulse on it. I tried to use it but found that i am better of controlling the amps with my foot rather than useing the pulse.
Lincoln Precision Tig 225
    Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:48 am

TwentyFourSeven wrote:I just started tig welding thin aluminum a month ago. The machine I bought has an adjustable pulse on it. I tried to use it but found that i am better of controlling the amps with my foot rather than useing the pulse.
Probably once you get the hang of it, the pulse could save you a heap of footwork.

The pulse on mine still allows me to use the foot control (which I do if/as required)
EWM Phonenix 355 Pulse MIG set mainly for Aluminum, CIGWeld 300Amp AC/DC TIG, TRANSMIG S3C 300 Amp MIG, etc, etc
'Stang
    Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:12 pm

jrogers80 wrote:Are there any ac pulsed machines and is ac pulse used by anyone? i see dc pulsed machines but when would ac pulse be used?
Pulse is very useful on thin material. You can control the heat input to minimize distortion. It is also very useful when your fit up is not as good as you would like. Using slow pulse rates give you the extra time to shove some filler rod in, and fill the gap on a bad fit up. It is also very useful for out of position welds. If you are doing overhead-it will help you shove filler into the joint, without it falling on your head.