Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Joejoe8455
    Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:50 am

Just wondering if anyone has done this for any tips, it's the same 6g as with pipe, except the pipe has about a 3/4 gap with a backing ring and the root is 3 beads, one on each side of the bevel, and another between the first two beads, then fill and cap it
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

I have not, but would not be afraid to try. I've done a similar weld today in 2G and 3G on stainless.

Treat each side (bevel to backer) as a simple lap joint, and pay attention to the root tie-in, and you should be golden.

Steve S
    Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:18 pm

I thought 6G was a pipe test....Plate is 1 thru 4 ie: 1 flat..2 horizontal.3 vertical.. 4 overhead... Pipe 1G is rolled in a verticle/flat position..2G horizontal fixed..5G verticle fixed..6G 45degree fixed..6GR is 45 degree with a restrictor ring...... I think this is the designation for position..Always thought the term structural without the pipe moniker meant plate???? Someone correct me if i'm wrong....
Joejoe8455
    Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:50 am

Where I work at, if you practice well I'm all 3 positions when it comes time for your X-ray test instead of making you do all 3 positions again they will give you a 6g with a 3/4 gap and a backing ring on that, save time money and material

mike boyer wrote:I thought 6G was a pipe test....Plate is 1 thru 4 ie: 1 flat..2 horizontal.3 vertical.. 4 overhead... Pipe 1G is rolled in a verticle/flat position..2G horizontal fixed..5G verticle fixed..6G 45degree fixed..6GR is 45 degree with a restrictor ring...... I think this is the designation for position..Always thought the term structural without the pipe moniker meant plate???? Someone correct me if i'm wrong....
"O-beams", meaning pipe, are regularly used for structure. Oil rigs are a great example. There's little that's not round in the main superstructure.

Have you ever seen a lattice crane built with I-beams?

6G structural welds are more common than you think...

Steve S
ONDGAS
    Fri May 23, 2014 6:18 am

damn, i gotta get a picture of me sitting on a chopper as my avatar :mrgreen:
Rubbin' is racin' son

IT don't mean nothin unless your the guy that built it......

mike boyer wrote:IT don't mean nothin unless your the guy that built it......
Oh, rub it in... Im sitting an OCC bike, sure, but I built what's in the background, making the bike look simple by comparison...

Steve S

I was just ribn the guy.....Sittin on a bike that aint urs is like getn a pic took with strippers.....Wats the point??? Aint like there gona go home with ya.....Just how I feel about it.....Whats in the background ???? All I can see is you & the bike...And trust me...I'm SURE..what you built is more complicated than any of Paulys putzmobiles....LOL...So theres my 2cents :lol: You mention Cryo alot...Like deep freeze cryo ????

mike boyer wrote:I was just ribn the guy.....Sittin on a bike that aint urs is like getn a pic took with strippers.....Wats the point??? Aint like there gona go home with ya.....Just how I feel about it.....Whats in the background ???? All I can see is you & the bike...And trust me...I'm SURE..what you built is more complicated than any of Paulys putzmobiles....LOL...So theres my 2cents :lol: You mention Cryo alot...Like deep freeze cryo ????
Actually, I think one of the flunkies built this on a Paul Sr. design. It was not built on TV.

My answer to the "cryo" question, depending on who's asking, is sometimes, "Yes, I've got Ted WIlliams' head in a freezer." :lol: Actually, I work with cryogenic liquid systems, meaning liquid Hydrogen, Nitrogen, Oxygen, and Argon, as well as assorted others.

In my avatar, I'm building a "cold-box" for AirGas, and the picture (at an open house) was taken by an executive VP for AirGas. (A cold-box is a distillation unit to extract, in this case, Nitrogen, Oxygen, and Argon from the atmosphere in liquid form.)

Here's a better image of what I was building:
GEDC0002.JPG
GEDC0002.JPG (58.81 KiB) Viewed 815 times
Steve S

WOW ...Thats ....Very COOL looking....And sounds pretty dam techie to boot....Looks like a lota SS piping as well...Thats nice....And as far as Ted Williams head...I read a few things about a company called alcor....LMAO....Have you read anything about the monkey wrench "incident"..LOL...Anyway ..his museum is about a mile or two from here in citrus hills. or it was..I think its a clubhouse or something now...

Most of that work was 6061-T6 pipe and tube.

That structure had 4200' of instrument tube in it, all welded.

Here's a sample of the instrument tubes, which I was invited to stay on the job to run...
GEDC0026.JPG
GEDC0026.JPG (55.64 KiB) Viewed 567 times
GEDC0027.JPG
GEDC0027.JPG (50.06 KiB) Viewed 567 times
All .049 wall 6061.

Steve S

Here's a close-up of what the welds are, here...

The tube designation is apparent, as well.
GEDC0025.JPG
GEDC0025.JPG (60.31 KiB) Viewed 567 times
Steve S

And, YES, before anyone asks,

I'm showing off, just a bit. I was proud of that job, and there's nothing wrong with taking pride in one's work.

Steve s

SHOWIN OFF ???? I tend to think it falls along the line Walter Brennen used in "the Guns of Will Sonnett" when his kids explained to would be foes of there reputation as fast hands..Youngest to the oldest..Each one was faster till it fell on Will to respond.....No Brag..Just FACT...LMAO......DAMMMM...Thats nice Steve....AM i gona be able to do that when I grow up ???? LOL.....You Betcha I will !!!!! Course at my age & rate of progression..I'll probly stroke out first... :lol:

Naw, Mike, it actually gets easier.

The more experience you gather, the faster you gather experience.

The worst part is that your eyes often get weak as your skills get strong, and these are at cross purposes. My eye doctor also welds, so I've made him a friend, and he takes good care of me.

Steve S