Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:18 pm

Well I just had to try it....this is the first one that I wasn't gona touch with a grinder..Used my 160STH cuz of the HF start...My setting are way higher than Jodys for some reason ??? 115 on the root..135 on the hot pass...Gota get the bottom reinforcement protruding a little more.. Up the left side righthanded...Right side is left handed.....Any suggestions "Master Po"...LOL
Attachments
002.JPG
002.JPG (36.14 KiB) Viewed 627 times
up from the left side right handed
up from the left side right handed
001.JPG (45.11 KiB) Viewed 627 times
up from the right side left handed
up from the right side left handed
004.JPG (37.68 KiB) Viewed 627 times
003.JPG
003.JPG (36.09 KiB) Viewed 627 times
008.JPG
008.JPG (43.12 KiB) Viewed 627 times
007.JPG
007.JPG (31.12 KiB) Viewed 627 times
006.JPG
006.JPG (40.7 KiB) Viewed 627 times
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

I think it shows, that your settings are higher than Jody's.

I'd say it looks like you rushed it; you were impatient. You cannot blaze this in like a 6010 "bury-rod"...

You can do this root with a wide variety of amperages, speeding or slowing your work accordingly.

I suggest lower amps and more time to see what's going on. Just slow down and watch each wall break, and watch the puddle created FILL, as you'll, in any position, have almost as much material move inside as you see outside.

Easier said then done...

Steve S
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

Agreed.....don't rush and let it cool between passes. I'd go about 90 amps on the root, your hotter and pushing a little too much material through on the root.

Slow and steady wins the race with pipe. What land and gap are you running?
Attachments
IMG_20140409_093842.jpg
IMG_20140409_093842.jpg (51.64 KiB) Viewed 590 times
IMG_20140409_094010.jpg
IMG_20140409_094010.jpg (50.63 KiB) Viewed 590 times
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB

Knife edge...1/8 gap...1/8 er70s6.. 1/8 lanth..15 CFH...I don't know why but My everlast doesn't even wana keyhole till its 100...I was at 70..Then 80..then 90...OMG it was like watchin grass grow...100 left a HAZ about 1/2 inch out....The lower amps were blueing the bevels.....The internal reinforcment pics are decieving...The "blobs" pokin thru are from me stumblin jamin the rod to catch up when it does KH...HAZ was also a concern...Im wigglin..Not back & forth...The bottoms flush..maybe potruding 30/40 thou.....The top & sides are incinsistant but reinforced..Again ..Operator malfunction..Getn both hands comfy & in concert is tuff....I tore the torch apart & reconfigured it to my liking.... It's much better now...Pics comin tomorrow of tig rebuid..lol..Torch angle is about 30 off a 90..How long should it take to sew up a 6" root..AND ..Time on a Hot pass????Thanks guys for the critique...Thats exactly what I'm here for.....ps..I dont want the pipe blueing from hangin around forever..
coldman
  • coldman

Hey Mike,
Everyone welds a bit different but I can make some observations:
Firstly if you are doing the wiggle arc motion, your wire needs to be able to fall through the gap. So you need to increase your gap a little or I would go to 3/32" wire. On the underside of the pipe the wire should be almost inside the pipe to counteract gravity. Up the side, the wire should be half in and half out of the knife edge and on top hold the wire mostly flush with the knife edge, gravity will do the rest. Wire should be held fairly flat in the prep.

Keep your bevel angle as close to 30* as you can be comfortable with otherwise many passes will be required to fill up the joint. You may need to extend the electrode out more to reach the puddle, its ok if you have enough gas flow.

Excessive amps can flatten the inside penetration. For 6" sched 80 I would start with 120amps (with a loose 3/32" gap) for root and hot pass and adjust from there. For 1/8" gap you may need to go down to 110amps to start with.

Nothing wrong with 1/8" tungsten, but 3/32" is good for 200amps and would be easier to use and maybe less amps as well. Watch your hot pass, it looks like a bit cold due to excessive travel speed, slow down a little at the sides and make sure they wash in, a swivel at the wrist instead of a straight side to side motion can help with this. Your technique otherwise looks really good with steady even increments.
Cheers.

Actually..The inconsistencys your seein in the reinforcement are caused from me spazn with my filler rod hand..Thats givin me problems..erratic torch angle plays into it as well....Theres 3 passes in there..All of which are PRACTICE tryin to get things in concert..The SPEED issue mentioned...It's kinda like the butch cassidy & the sundance kid scene when ther tryin out for the job of watchin the money...Redford couldn't hit sh*# unless he moved...It seems to be the same way with me..That creepin slow snails pace is killin me..The walkin the cup shot was the only comfortable pass I made..Had to crank the heat up to move at the speed that produced "better" results than the previous passes I didn't take pics of...And yes ...I'm impatient...Just my nature..But it does work for me rather well..It usually doesn't take long to figure things out...& excell at them....Just my two cents gang.. AND as always ..thanks for the input & help thats got me where I'm at today