Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Joejoe8455
    Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:50 am

Would be great, my instructor is on vacation and, the guy standing in for him, can't tig for crap. He's a good guy and can mig, and stick like a boss, but as far as tig he's even honest and says he's not good at it. So any advice or videos would be awesome
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

Steel or Aluminum? Open root or T joint?

Either way I like to use my tig finger to rest and go straight up the joint with a little forward and back motion, sometimes resting the cup.
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
Joejoe8455

Sorry should of explained more so, carbon steel, 5/16 T joint, using 70S at 155 amps
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

When I was teaching my kid I told him just do it the same as flat, move the same and add the same - watch the puddle fill.

Tig is awesome so don't over think the basic movements.

Good luck and have fun :)
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

Joejoe8455 wrote:Sorry should of explained more so, carbon steel, 5/16 T joint, using 70S at 155 amps
Sounds fine, 3/32" filler I assume...give it some passes, you may find a little less amps will help if you find you have issues with heat input, (not sure if they let you use a foot pedal or not in you class)
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
Joejoe8455

We only use switches on the torch itself where I work at