Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Benny
    Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:11 pm

Just a question here from Oz, now I wanna weld some 1 1/4" schedule 10 black carbon steel steam pipe up but I wanna know if it is possible to use 309L filler rods instead of ER70S-2. This is for a turbo manifold for a mate but I just thought the 309 filler would give a better finish than the ER70S-2?

cheers benny.
88MOOSE88
    Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:13 am

Hi,

You can Use 309 stainless steel wire but because its a exhaust manifold it will be constantly doing hear cycles of heating and cooling, as stainless has a different coefficient of linier expansion, the welds hold for a while but probably will crack along the toes of the weld.

I've done weld repairs on vessel heating coils, which do a similar heat cycle to exhausts but with hot thermal oil, and I've seen vessels with hundreds of repairs.

Use the wire most similar to the base metal, this is not always the case with stainless steels but with carbon steel you will have no problems. Use the carbon wire you mentioned (er70s2 where I come from we use pz550 filler)

Even though its carbon steel, I would purge it with argon, just from a quality point of view.

Hope this helps
coldman
  • coldman

The 309 wire might give an initial shinier staino finish to the butt, the pipe however is still low carbon steel so what's the point. ER70S wire is much cheaper filler than 309 and is designed to do the job you are seeking, so why change? There's lots of pretty lace done with ER70S wire, if the skill level is not up to it, 309 won't be pretty either.
Benny

thanks guys, I guess its ER70S then and I will most likely end up purging it so I can get a smoother inside.
Mongol
    Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:56 pm

What kind of finish are you going for? Shiny? Matte? A certain color? Heat input will directly affect your color.

And I wouldn't bother purging mild steel.
Benny

After much thought im not really going to go for a nice finish because I will most likely end up painted it with heat proof paint so im not to worried about the finish. What i would like to know is what size electrode, filler and cup size I use, as i have never done any pipe work before.

thanks guys you have been a great help so far.
88MOOSE88

If you have a 1/16 electrode then use that, the arc cone will be smaller and give more control on thinner material.

It can be done with a 2.4mm electrode and give pretty much identical results its just skill of the operator, as you mentioned this is your first pipe weld.

Just take it steady, use lower amps that what you think , just incase a hole opens up, then raise or lower the amperage from there.

The purging I mentioned before helps the crud from the inside of the pipe not float to the surface as much, there's no doubt there will be contaminates in the pool, but purging helped me see the pool better when I first started carbon steel pipe.

Another tip is to just clean the metal with a sanding disc or wire wheel for a drill if you have acetone then use that as well

Hope this helps
Thanks
Benny

Is it a general rule of thumb that if I use a 1.6mm electrode that i use 1.6mm filler? or do i use use 2.4? what size gas cup for pipe? #10? thanks.
88MOOSE88

I've heard of people using wire from mig machines with fine delicate work, but for your job, 1.6 mm if fine.

As its carbon steel cup size isn't that important any size from 5-9 cup would be perfect if you have a gas lens that would be a bonus, but its not necessary.

Just remember with thinner material you need to place metal carefully, dont go mad and feed lots of wire, feed wire and watch it soak a little.

One of the problems I had, was I was scared of opening up a hole and I compensated by adding lots of wire and it just built up on the outside giving no penetration. Even if you move an inch at a time it don't matter. If you have some scrap material similar to your project have a practice first.

Hope this helps
Benny

thanks mate this really helped i will keep you filled in !
88MOOSE88

That ok bud, post some pics when your done.

Cheers