Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:42 am

I am considering getting a water cooled torch as it doesn't take too long for my 17 air cooled to get too hot to handle. Right now I just have a fixed head torch, no flex or swivel. What would be your recommendations if you could only get one style..regular, flex or swivel? I'm just a hobbyist learning to tig, but if I'm going to spend the money, I would rather get one that is the most useful. Probably going to buy a package deal from Paul at HTP (USAWeld). Thanks

Dave
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

That's exactly what you need to do, as you won't go wrong.
    Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:14 am

http://www.ckworldwide.com/flex-loc.htm

order with a series 3 head and a spare series 2 head for low amp tight places, the 2 is smaller and interchangeable and and get it with superflex hoses
Everlast 250EX
Miller 250 syncrowave
Sharp LMV Vertical Mill
Takisawa TSL-800-D Lathe
Coupla Bandsaws,Grinders,surface grinder,tool/cutter grinder
and more stuff than I deserve(Thanks Significant Other)
wecf
    Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:04 am

rick9345 wrote:http://www.ckworldwide.com/flex-loc.htm

order with a series 3 head and a spare series 2 head for low amp tight places, the 2 is smaller and interchangeable and and get it with superflex hoses
This
Wes917
    Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:45 pm

While these are sweet torches seems a bit much for a hobbyist no? I guess it depends on what your welding? I'd go with a regular flex head for occasional use.
    Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:14 am

good equipment does not make for good welder,but it gets one there quicker
tig welding can become addictive
a few$$ up front saves $$ later
the neighbor hood welder can earn equipment costs back
Everlast 250EX
Miller 250 syncrowave
Sharp LMV Vertical Mill
Takisawa TSL-800-D Lathe
Coupla Bandsaws,Grinders,surface grinder,tool/cutter grinder
and more stuff than I deserve(Thanks Significant Other)
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

I have a water cooled 20 series and its perfect for me
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Wes917 wrote:

While these are sweet torches seems a bit much for a hobbyist no? I guess it depends on what your welding? I'd go with a regular flex head for occasional use.
Excess is the perogative of the one who is opening up the wallet. If he can afford it, why not. I have no less than than 8 TIG torches. Complete hobbyist here. :D

I say go for the flex-loc package from Paul @ HTP. He is freakin awesome, I'll tell you that. Great customer service and pricing. Really goes out of his way.
    Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:42 am

Thanks for all of your suggestion guys. The price difference in the type of torch compared to the overall cost of everything else is not that much really. I saw another post where TamJeff said that the flex head water cooled torches crack from repeated bending due to the fact that they dont get hot enough and case harden. So, I think maybe I will look into the flex-loc. I may not NEED it, but then again I really didn't NEED a tig welder either. I think I would rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

Dave
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

I own two CK flexloc torches and I love them, but it should be known that a water cooled flexloc is only really cooling the handle since no water is circulated through the head. The heads on my water cooled one is exactly like the one on my air cooled one. But I haven't found a torch that I like better.

Not sure what amp range you normally weld in, but if it's at the 200 and up range, I would go for a traditional torch. I think my CK torches cool better than the Weldcraft torches in the same class. I have a 18SC (Supercool) from Weldcraft tHat stays cool to the upper limits of my welder, which is around 310 amps.

Those are my opinions on the matter.

P.S. I've never owned a flex head torch so I can't speak to the cracking issue.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

I'll comment on the "water-cooled flex-head" issue.

You can make small adjustments in the angle for quite a long time. However, the flexibility makes it easy to try to put the torch in extreme positions. This is why most flex-heads fail. Yes, they work-harden, but if you use them as intended, for small adjustments, they will hold up quite a while.

I'm still trying like hell to get my employer to buy a CK Flex-Loc, because I have a frequent repair it would be a blessing for...

Steve S