Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
WILD BILL
    Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:03 pm

Although I've looked and haven't seen this addressed yet.

Does anyone know of any place that sells it by the stick?

I have found it both from Diamond ground and Arc Zone but they both only sell packs of 10.

Thanks Image
Everlast 225LX
Canuck
    Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:47 pm

Never seen it by the stick - I always buy a deck at a time.
revkev6
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:24 pm

how much of a difference would there be between the 1.5% and the 2% ??
sschefer
    Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:44 pm

revkev6 wrote:how much of a difference would there be between the 1.5% and the 2% ??
Not much unless you try to push them like using a 3/32 when you should be using 1/8. The 2% that I was able to get were Chinese and my 1.5's are Sylvania. It's my opinion that the Sylvania's outlast the Chineses and perform better but they cost more. I think it's worth it in the long run.
Highly skilled at turning expensive pieces of metal into useless but recyclable crap..
sschefer

WILD BILL wrote:Although I've looked and haven't seen this addressed yet.

Does anyone know of any place that sells it by the stick?

I have found it both from Diamond ground and Arc Zone but they both only sell packs of 10.

Thanks Image

Bill if you're just looking to try it, Diamond will send you a single sample.
Highly skilled at turning expensive pieces of metal into useless but recyclable crap..
WILD BILL

Yeah, I've gotten a sample of 3/32 and 1/8 but I don't want to take advantage of their generousity.

Just from the limited amount of welding I've done and can see a huge difference when using the 2% lan.

I'm not doing this everyday for a living so it would be great to get a couple sticks but if I have to I guess a pack will do.

Probably last the rest of my life :lol:
Everlast 225LX
revkev6
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:24 pm

just ran down to my LWS to see what they had in stock. 2% thoriated and pure were it! real nice selection :roll:

stopped into harbor freight to pick up a welding cart ($35!) and checked to see what they had. a big fat nothing! looks like I will have to get everything but gas from the internet....
kermdawg
    Tue May 25, 2010 8:16 pm

The little weld shop/supply house out here in BFE ONLY sells tungsten in packs of three. Although IMO, their prices are outrageous and I was probably better off buying a 10 pack off the internet, since the 10 pack was only like 10 bucks more(before shipping of course :).
Signature? Who needs a F***ing signature?
WILD BILL

I've tried the HF tungsten. All they had at my store was 1/16th 2% thoriated and even after a good sharpining the arc would wander.

Be glad you didn't waste any money on it.
Everlast 225LX
jakeru
    Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:30 pm

I thought Diamond Ground told me their 2% lanthanated was from "wolfram industries". (German made I think)
2rods
    Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:31 am

jakeru wrote:I thought Diamond Ground told me their 2% lanthanated was from "wolfram industries". (German made I think)
They are from China.
sschefer

jakeru wrote:I thought Diamond Ground told me their 2% lanthanated was from "wolfram industries". (German made I think)
I did a little comparison of my own between the 2% lanth that Diamond sent me and the 1.5 Sylvania's and I didn't see any difference. I think I'm starting to get a little better at TIG. I seem to be able to resolve most of the problems with adjustments.