Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
waylinbrandon1
    Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:01 pm

Hey , I'm doing my tig root pass with 1/8 filler metal and a 5/32 gap .Im feedeing the rod through top of pipe . Im running 80-85 amps and from 6-8 o clock the metal starts balling up . So I went side to side while feeding the rod and the metal balled up and dropped below radius of root pass .What should I do different?
Need Help
Waylin
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

waylinbrandon1,
Here is a video that might help you out. Can you get some pictures up for us?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKaPIpxIneE
-Jonathan
waylinbrandon1

Thanks for the info on the video . I've watched for the hand positioning and torch angle to help me . I free hand instead of walking the cup . With a gap closer to 1/8 inch I do a lot better. Will try to change variables and send pic. tomorrow.
Thanks
Waylin
waylinbrandon1

Image[/img]Image
waylinbrandon1

Hey , the root pass im referring to is the one in front .The one with excessive penetration was one of a earlier try. Any advice is needed and appreciated . I structural weld but don't see pipe welders too often because I'm at the shop most of the time . So any advice is good.
keep welding
Waylin
Arizona SA200
    Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:28 pm

I think its looking good but i must ask, why not walk the cup? It is good to learn both because some times you can't walk it.
I stack dimes for a living so i can stack dollars for a paycheck.
Arizona SA200
    Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:28 pm

On the OP you were talking about filler balling up. It sounds to me like you are feeding in to the arc and not the puddle. Feed it back a little farther and see what happens.
I stack dimes for a living so i can stack dollars for a paycheck.
waylinbrandon1

I have tried walking the cup but not quite fast enough too walk the cup on root pass while feeding the filler metal but will practice more . Appreciate the feedback.
Keep Welding
Waylin