Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
propdr
    Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:04 pm

Hello,

I am looking for the best weld procedures for welding some of these die cast aluminum automobile parts.
I think the parts have a mixture of tin, aluminum and magnesium. Any help or ideas will be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Gary
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Welcome to the forum Gary.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
paul_s
    Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:04 pm

Welcome to the forum.
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Gary,
Welcome to the forum!
I have repaired a carburetor once with Crown Royal Kirkrod. Carburetors have a high zinc content and it worked for them. You have mentioned there is a mixture of tin, so I am not sure this will work, but you could give it a try. To give a better answer, what parts exactly are you wanting to weld? If it is a intake or something like that, this may not be the correct filler.

The major drawback is Kirkrod it VERY expensive for only one pound! I was also provided a junk carb to practice on before lighting up on the real thing. When it says it has a low melting point- it means it. It took some practice until I was ready for the real thing. Clean the material really good and don't breath this stuff.
Here are the specs provided by Crown.
Attachments
Crown Kirkrod.JPG
Crown Kirkrod.JPG (98.04 KiB) Viewed 1234 times
Crown Kirkrod applications.JPG
Crown Kirkrod applications.JPG (147.99 KiB) Viewed 1234 times
Crown Kirkrod procedure.JPG
Crown Kirkrod procedure.JPG (153.03 KiB) Viewed 1234 times
propdr

Superiorwelding wrote:Gary, Hi Guy's
I am very familiar with the aluminum rod, I use a boat load of it for repairing aluminum propellers. Works great as I have finally mastered the procedure after 30 years doing it for my business.
I did use this stuff for the repair of this automobile part. It was with 1/16"

Thanks for the replies.

Gary

Welcome to the forum!
I have repaired a carburetor once with Crown Royal Kirkrod. Carburetors have a high zinc content and it worked for them. You have mentioned there is a mixture of tin, so I am not sure this will work, but you could give it a try. To give a better answer, what parts exactly are you wanting to weld? If it is a intake or something like that, this may not be the correct filler.

The major drawback is Kirkrod it VERY expensive for only one pound! I was also provided a junk carb to practice on before lighting up on the real thing. When it says it has a low melting point- it means it. It took some practice until I was ready for the real thing. Clean the material really good and don't breath this stuff.
Here are the specs provided by Crown.
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Welcome to the Forum.

~John
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
    Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:14 am

I have done,Honda, Toyota and others,oil pans,timing covers,cam covers,valve covers sucessfully with 4043, lots of HF and balance to penatration low amps, clean, clean propane torch any oil residue, no preheat
Everlast 250EX
Miller 250 syncrowave
Sharp LMV Vertical Mill
Takisawa TSL-800-D Lathe
Coupla Bandsaws,Grinders,surface grinder,tool/cutter grinder
and more stuff than I deserve(Thanks Significant Other)
VooDoo
    Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:54 am

i have done toyota, honda, ford, opel(gm) vauxhall (gm) saab, fiat oil pans and some cosworth cylinder heads, all done with 4047.

I like to preheat 150-400celsius, preheat burns off oil and contaminants, helps alot.

But the "thing" in my mind is the 4047 fillerrod, wets in so nice and can handle more porosity than 4043.

(ill do all cast alum parts with 4047)

Some times ill preheat "too hot" and let it cool some time before welding, just to burn off oil and crap out of the casting.
propdr

Thanks for all your replies!
This part is a steering wheel column part made of ZAMAK. It's off an old 1958 Cadillac. Was sent in from Sweden to be reworked by some old car buff restoration place. That's how I ended up with it
VooDoo wrote:i have done toyota, honda, ford, opel(gm) vauxhall (gm) saab, fiat oil pans and some cosworth cylinder heads, all done with 4047.

I like to preheat 150-400celsius, preheat burns off oil and contaminants, helps alot.

But the "thing" in my mind is the 4047 fillerrod, wets in so nice and can handle more porosity than 4043.

(ill do all cast alum parts with 4047)

Some times ill preheat "too hot" and let it cool some time before welding, just to burn off oil and crap out of the casting.
    Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:14 am

VOODOO where do get 4047?
around here no one carrys it.

Heard good things about it.
Everlast 250EX
Miller 250 syncrowave
Sharp LMV Vertical Mill
Takisawa TSL-800-D Lathe
Coupla Bandsaws,Grinders,surface grinder,tool/cutter grinder
and more stuff than I deserve(Thanks Significant Other)
VooDoo
    Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:54 am

....my daywork is at local welding / industry suply shop.. :)

We sell esab machines and consumables.

Some places sell it by the name of "alsi12" (88% aluminum 12%silicone)