Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
bb1127
    Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:25 pm

I would like to know if anyone can give me some tips and weld settings
For tig welding 1/8 copper.
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Here is a video that might help you out. I have never welded it, just brazed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYpYGbC2 ... wtLuliKmHg
-Jonathan
bb1127
    Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:25 pm

Thanks for the info! Can I use my argon regulator for the helium?
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

bb1127,
The simple answer to the regulator question is yes, but there is a significant difference in the flow rate of Helium and Argon. Go to your welding store and see if they have a flow meter marked for both and get an idea what your settings would need to be on an Argon flowmeter. If you plan on welding with both Helium and Argon alot then it would be a good investment to buy a flowmeter markrd for both.

I'm sure there are lots of guys on here that could give you a good idea as to where to set your regulator for helium, but I'm at work right now and don't have one here marked for both.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
Arizona SA200
    Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:28 pm

I just went and checked the flow meter i keep on my rig to make sure but the cfh for helium is roughly double that of argon. 10 cfh argon is about 20 cfh helium 20 to 40 and so on. Maybe this will give you a starting point.
I stack dimes for a living so i can stack dollars for a paycheck.
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Not saying the results will pass X ray or other testing - but copper does weld with argon & leaves a visually good weld once you overcome the initial heat input - much like aluminum - I did some & it worked OK - I think the main concern would be effective gas cover as the heat affected zone will be large - gas lens with large cup has to help.
    Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:23 am

Here is a good guide for welding copper and it's alloys from Copper Institute.

Their site: http://www.copper.org/applications/mari ... lloys.html

and guide in pdf: http://www.copper.org/publications/pub_ ... /a1050.pdf
-Markus-
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Braehill knows from where he speaks... He and I see flowmeters marked for helium all the time.

For a plain ol' argon flowmeter used with helium, when the ball "just starts to dance", you're at about 5 cfh. When it stands up on its own, you're at about 10 cfh. If the ball is up one inch, you're at about 60 cfh.

Remember, the density of Helium is not enough to lift the ball like argon.

Steve S

I seldom use Helium for welding but if my math is right, you would need approx. 3 times as much flow with Helium for basicly the same coverage. I honestly don't remember the flow rates I used last time I had to use Helium. The last couple times I used it at all was a blend of 50/50 with Argon.

I personally have never welded Copper, only soldered, so I can't speak to that matter at all.

Maybe someone here can let me know if I'm close with my calculations or not, I have no problem being corrected if I speaking out my ying-yang, so feel free.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Here are some pictures of a regulator marked for both argon and helium.
-Jonathan
Attachments
reg 1.JPG
reg 1.JPG (74.16 KiB) Viewed 1205 times
reg 2.JPG
reg 2.JPG (82.19 KiB) Viewed 1205 times
reg 3.JPG
reg 3.JPG (84.76 KiB) Viewed 1205 times

A single gas flow meter is the best for any gas because the weight difference between gases can be significant, and Argon and Helium are close to opposite ends of this scale. Argon being much heavier will lift the ball of that size and weight much differently than Helium, so the scale can only be accurate for one or the other on a split scale flowmeter. Luckily for us it's not an exact amount that's required to weld and can be adjusted fairly easy with the turn of a knob.

A split scale flowmeter that's scaled for Argon and CO2 are closer to being accurate for both gases because their weight by volume are similar, Argon being 39.95 lb/mol and CO2 being 44.01 lb/mol in comparison to Helium being 4.0 lb/mol. which effects their gas density, hence their ability to lift the ball.

The worst part is the fact that all this matters little at the end of your of your nozzle because the Helium is inherently trying to rise and the Argon is trying to settle. Plus there's an effect on the arc from these gases that can't be quantified by a number.

I think we might need a thread on cover gas and related equipment or I can keep hijacking everyone else's post. Sorry.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len