Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Infotig
    Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:43 pm

Hello, I work for a company in the industry & would like to have your opinion on the following: How thin of a material (specifically Aluminum /AC Polarity) can you initiate a weld using 3/32" tungsten (Grey, Red) without distorting the material itself using the newer Inverter type of TIG technology out there? Thank you in advance for your feedback.
jimbob
    Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:05 pm

I've welded plenty of beer cans with my inverter machine using a 3/32 sharpened to a sharp point. Biggest problem I've had is a getting some arc wander but that goes away at about 10-15 amps
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Welcome to the forum infotig.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
Infotig
    Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:43 pm

Mike, Jim Bob, Thanks for the reply to my posting.

Jim Bob, you have me curious in regards to welding on pop cans using 3/32 " Tungsten. At what amperage are you welding at when you weld this? Also, do you ever have issues with the arc popping out on you in addition to the arc wandering issues you discussed.

Thanks for your post.
jimbob
    Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:05 pm

[quote="Infotig"]Mike, Jim Bob, Thanks for the reply to my posting.

Jim Bob, you have me curious in regards to welding on pop cans using 3/32 " Tungsten. At what amperage are you welding at when you weld this? Also, do you ever have issues with the arc popping out on you in addition to the arc wandering issues you discussed.

I usually set my
machine at about 25-30 amps with the a/c freq. at 100- 120 depending which seems to work best for me that day. ;) . The a/c settings help control the arc wander. Also keeps the tungsten sharp, so low amp starts are more crisp