Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

hacadacalopolis wrote:Well with that being said Dave, I'm going to keep the dial at 200 A.
I try and keep my balance as low as I can( between 3-5 on syncrowave). Would you recommend my amps as previously stated with 1/4 " aluminum? I also tried starting off without balling tungsten. I'm just on standard tjoint coupon right now.
Balance setting of 3 on a syncrowave is 50/50 balance like my welder - then you are just welding old school.

May as well at least be at 5 so you get some extra penetration and less heat in the tungsten tip.

On the last set of 1/4" aluminum I ran 230 amps.

I also start without balling the tip since it will round off all on its own anyway. I grind a short blunt angle and put a little flat spot on it.

Pic is 1/4" angle and 3/16" diamond plate. Not perfect, but normal for me.
image.jpg
image.jpg (39.96 KiB) Viewed 1201 times
Last edited by MinnesotaDave on Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Some grind information for you (by way of pics)
I use the middle of the first pic on aluminum and the bottom two taper grinds on steel.
image.jpg
image.jpg (32.81 KiB) Viewed 1199 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (29.9 KiB) Viewed 1199 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (34.1 KiB) Viewed 1199 times
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
hacadacalopolis
    Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:14 am

Wow! Thanks for being a great help. I really do appreciate it. We don't have any tungsten referencing like that at school.

Maybe I'll post a pic next week of some coupons for speculation.
Or rather pm you (if that's ok) than getting off topic with thread...
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

off topic hijacking is always forgiven.

Just about every thread has been hijacked one time or another. :roll:

John ;)
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
hacadacalopolis

Ha good ol threadjacking. Ya back in the day little toddler forum moderators would ban for such bullcrap.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hey,

Ill never ban for a hijack, because my brain works in very stange ways. Im like: welding welding welding........oh look a squirrel (not literally in Aus)....lol

Mick.

weldin mike 27 wrote:Hey,

Ill never ban for a hijack, because my brain works in very stange ways. Im like: welding welding welding........oh look a squirrel (not literally in Aus)....lol

Mick.
Perfect description - I'm with ya man :lol:
Dave J.

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc

Good to see im not the only one. :lol:
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

When a thread is hijacked here, it almost always goes in an interesting and informative direction. Usually, if the original topic gets buried, one of us will bring it up, and we'll either get back on topic, or have parallel topics on the same thread. I've never seen it as a problem, or heard a complaint.

And, if I'd got to my camera faster, I'd have posted a pic of the squirrel I saw outside my window while typing this :lol:

Steve S

Otto Nobedder wrote:When a thread is hijacked here, it almost always goes in an interesting and informative direction. Usually, if the original topic gets buried, one of us will bring it up, and we'll either get back on topic, or have parallel topics on the same thread. I've never seen it as a problem, or heard a complaint.

And, if I'd got to my camera faster, I'd have posted a pic of the squirrel I saw outside my window while typing this :lol:

Steve S
....welding...welding....metal....welding....look a squirrel !!! .....welding.....
image.jpg
image.jpg (66.71 KiB) Viewed 1156 times
Dave J.

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
bj139
    Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:01 pm

MinnesotaDave wrote:Some grind information for you (by way of pics)
I use the middle of the first pic on aluminum and the bottom two taper grinds on steel.
Is this thread hijacking because someone mentioned steel taper grinding or because someone mentioned grinding? I suppose if someone mentioned they used ceriated tungsten and I replied I used lanthanated I would be guilty of hijacking. Where are the limits? Just on the other side of squirrels? :D
If I was on the other site I would post a nasty comment about "if you are looking for squirrels, use the search function. Squirrels have been covered in numerous topics. Don't waste our time." Or something like this. :lol:
Now I am threadjacking. Sorry.
NYWELDERJim
    Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:09 am

Minnesota Dave,

Thanks for posting the information on weld penetration versus electrode grind angle. That info. is the exact opposite of what i was thinking. I have been preparing all of my electrodes for steel at a 30 degree angle. I'll go back and resharpen them to 90 degrees. This info. relates directly to the use of correct electrode dia. withthe best angle for the thickness of the material being welded.

Where did you get that information? Excellent reference material!!!

Jim

No problem Jim. I like your take on tungsten prep - using the correct diameter tungsten allows using the best grind angle for the job.
Using a tungsten too large for the amperage requires a long thin taper, which probably eventually becomes the grind usually used out of habit. I'm guilty of it when I grind a long taper on 3/32" when I should be using a smaller one.

First pic was from Miller:
http://www.millerwelds.com/resources/ar ... rc-Starts/

Second from Arc-Zone:
http://www.arc-zone.com/blog/weldlikeap ... ngsten.pdf

Do not remember where I got the Spot-On-Plate test pic. But this post from WeldingWeb shows it could have originally came from a book: http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?26 ... enetration
VPT posted it in post #9
Dave J.

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc

Hey,

Thats a fine squirrel. There is no limits to thread hijacking, providing its a friendly way and doesn't disrespect the original poster.

Its been said before, we are more like a bunch of mates having a few brews in the shed rather than a internet forum .

Mick
bj139
    Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:01 pm

I think I remember Jody say that a 3/32" tungsten was good for 150 amps. It could be used up to 200 amps but it is better to go to 1/8" tungsten if doing a lot of welding at 200 amps. This is because the thinner tungsten cannot carry as much current without overheating. I have only used 2mm (5/64")and 3/32" tungsten. It seems like when I sharpen a long taper on 3/32, after a few passes it becomes more blunt but it still welds fine on 1/8" steel or aluminum. Is there some rule, based on experience, for best tungsten diameter for a certain material thickness?

I've been saving up my money to buy a 2004 Syncrowave 250DX and I was wondering about "tungsten for aluminum?"
Ok this is not a hijack. ;)
Can these machines only run pure tungsten on AC?
Any ceriated or lanthenated ????
~John

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

AKweldshop wrote:I've been saving up my money to buy a 2004 Syncrowave 250DX and I was wondering about "tungsten for aluminum?"
~John
If you keep a heavier tungsten than required, and the balance toward "penetration", you can even use 2% thoriated on a 250DX. I don't recommend it for critical welds, as it can be unpredictable depending on brand/quality.

Somewhere on here, I have pics of several aluminum repairs on failed previous repairs, where someone used too small a thoriated tungsten at way too high a current, and destroyed the base metal by spraying it with "tungsten fog". I'm not convinced they didn't do it DCEN, it was that F#$KED UP.

Steve S

Otto Nobedder wrote:
AKweldshop wrote:I've been saving up my money to buy a 2004 Syncrowave 250DX and I was wondering about "tungsten for aluminum?"
~John
If you keep a heavier tungsten than required, and the balance toward "penetration", you can even use 2% thoriated on a 250DX. I don't recommend it for critical welds, as it can be unpredictable depending on brand/quality.

Somewhere on here, I have pics of several aluminum repairs on failed previous repairs, where someone used too small a thoriated tungsten at way too high a current, and destroyed the base metal by spraying it with "tungsten fog". I'm not convinced they didn't do it DCEN, it was that F#$KED UP.

Steve S
Yep, I watched my 3/32" 2% thoriated and 3/32" 2% lanthanted both do that on a piece of scrap with my Airco.
I was just goofing around with amps too high for that size (230) and I could watch them spray. Pretty interesting :)
1/8" tungsten of either worked fine at 230 amps for my machine.
Dave J.

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc

So will thoriated perform good on AC????

Trump/Carson 2016-2024

AKweldshop wrote:So will thoriated perform good on AC????
I like it fine, others do not. My kid likes it fine.

We grind a short blunt taper, small flat spot, let it ball as we weld.

Not a great answer but it's all I got :D
Dave J.

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
hacadacalopolis

We have to use 2% thoriated and pure with the syncrowave at school, I probably already mentioned that. I am going to try lanthanated though since I bought some HTP