Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
billyolds
    Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:06 pm

Im finishing up weliding school here in the next few months, ALL IVE BEEN DOING IS PIPE...so every once in while i take a stroll through the scrap yard and find random stuff to weld. Today i found a shiny needle in the rusted hay stack so to speak, some serious chuncks of SS. I was all set up for scratch start tig and had all my cups out so i grabb some SS rods and did this
1st pass
A restart on the 2nd pass
close up of 2nd
The cylinder was a solid piece and the plate was welded to a steel 2" pipe with an incredible tig bead by some local nautical welding company. I was using a dimension 450 set at 195A, but on this machine the amps drop a consistant 15-20amps when being run, so i was really right around 175. I forget which cup i was using but i should have gone smaller on the first pass.
Good times
-billy
It is what it is...
weldmaster36602
    Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:29 pm

the welds look ok but do not think that i would post them online till u master at least keeping your weave length the same
anthonyfawley
    Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:58 pm

Not out of school yet? I think they look great for just startin out!
dustelf
    Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:09 am

Hi there.

well, the weld looks nice(mostly because of the thick pipe ), u just need to add more filler, and never finish with the rod in the pool.
Hardrock
    Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:49 pm

Looks great for learning. I'd say your heat is perfect.