Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Oh, and Welcome to the forum bj139
John
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
TamJeff
    Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:46 am

When we got our inverter, it came with tungsten for our process. I remember they went back and forth and the rep ended up asking others what they were using for aluminum. But even they ended up using pure after all that and I don't recall why because I just kept using the syncrowave. It still is set up for pure but I only use the Dynasty inverter when I am working beyond the reach of my cables, or outside. 99% of my welding is still done on the SW. I may get to revisit the machine and see what it can do better, but at the moment, I cannot imagine what it is. It's just so dang'd noisy to essentially arrive at the same end result.

Yesterday, I fired up the A/BP just to see if I have just forgotten something for not being able to do a direct side-by-side with the other two types. Initially, the quietness of it threw me off. It "sounds" weaker but it punches a puddle as soon as I hit the switch, and with authority. Today I have turned the Dynasty Hz to (was at 85) 60. The frequency sound is lower pitched but still loud as all get out. It does run hotter at the lower freq setting, though it seems.

I downloaded the manual for the Dynasty to see if I can get a handle on it around some different settings with different tungstens and see if I can make better use of it than what I am using it for currently. I just haven't had the time to really mess with it. Seems I have just always been in a hurry to meet deadlines for the last 5-6 years. Most days, I am still welding 5 mins before I leave for the night, and the welds from both machines need to match, if that makes any sense.
Miller ABP 330, Syncrowave 250, Dynasty 300 DX.
Honorary member of the Fraternity of Faded Tee Shirts.

If you dig around in www.weldingtipsandtricks.com,
you'll find that "Jody" says all pure is good for is popping balloons....
Ask him?

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

AKweldshop wrote:Dave, I was just wondering, Just to wonder.
You have enough energy to "wonder just to wonder"??

Geez, we better call your boss and tell him you are not being worked hard enough! Lol :mrgreen:
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

MinnesotaDave wrote:

Geez, we better call your boss and tell him you are not being worked hard enough! Lol :mrgreen:
Hey Dave, they can take away your welder, but they can't stop you from wondering....

And yes, I do to much wondering :D

John

Trump/Carson 2016-2024

AKweldshop wrote:
MinnesotaDave wrote:

Hey Dave, they can take away your welder, but they can't stop you from wondering....

And yes, I do to much wondering :D

John
Ok true - no stopping an active mind :)

....I should probably find something to take apart....or weld together... :lol:
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
bj139
    Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:01 pm

AKweldshop wrote:Oh, and Welcome to the forum bj139
John
Thanks John.
I made some posts on Weldingweb but they seem to have more pro welders doing large scale pipe and industrial fabrication. I am into small scale repair/ hobbyist. TIG is great for small parts. You can weld them without melting them down.

bj139 wrote:
AKweldshop wrote:Oh, and Welcome to the forum bj139
John
Thanks John.
I made some posts on Weldingweb but they seem to have more pro welders doing large scale pipe and industrial fabrication. I am into small scale repair/ hobbyist. TIG is great for small parts. You can weld them without melting them down.

Are you saying WW guys don't have the time or patience for all the "dumb little" questions?
Are you saying WTAT Guys, like us, are more patient with all the "dumb little" questions???
If so, you are somewhat on the right track....
I read and comment there every now and then, mostly read, as I don't want to get into their "bashing contests"....
We all asked the "dumb little" questions at one point.... :!:
John

Trump/Carson 2016-2024
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Actually, WW seems to have four basic types. Pros who will help you. Pros who fancy themselves "goldenarms" above helping you. Pretenders who have no experience but big arrogant mouths with no ability to help you. And the poor guy who needs the help, gets abused by the last two and is lucky to see the sincere advice of the first through the flames.

Millerwelds isn't really any better.

Steve S

Otto Nobedder wrote:Actually, WW seems to have four basic types. Pros who will help you. Pros who fancy themselves "goldenarms" above helping you. Pretenders who have no experience but big arrogant mouths with no ability to help you. And the poor guy who needs the help, gets abused by the last two and is lucky to see the sincere advice of the first through the flames.

Millerwelds isn't really any better.

Steve S
Pretty odd conversation.

I'm on that board (weldingweb) and the only positive place you've left would assume I'm a pro who helps.

If not, the only options left are an arrogant jerk, a pretender with nothing to add, or a newbie who can't tell the difference between the other three.

Maybe you could add a few other categories. :roll:
Dave J.

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc

Okay, okay...

All generalizations are bad.... :lol:

I suppose that was like me saying there are liberals and conservatives, and no one in the middle.

Steve S

Otto Nobedder wrote:Okay, okay...

All generalizations are bad.... :lol:

I suppose that was like me saying there are liberals and conservatives, and no one in the middle.

Steve S
There's a middle?

I've seen the news...surely you jest! :lol:
Dave J.

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc

Don't get us wrong, Dave.
You know exactly the point we're trying to make....
We've all watched it first hand....
If you like, I could dig up a "handful" of WW threads that turned "sour"?
WeldingWeb, the Forum for Pros and Enthusiasts.
It has Ton's of good information.
Its just, the Moderators are kept very busy!

John :?
Last edited by AKweldshop on Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

Trump/Carson 2016-2024

Still waiting for someone to laugh at the statement, "All generalizations are bad..."

Saw that on a signboard at a burrito shop at the edge of campus, did a double-take, and laughed my ass off!

Steve S

AKweldshop wrote:Don't get us wrong, Dave.
You know exactly the point we're trying to make....
We've all watched first hand....
WeldingWeb, the Forum for Pros and Enthusiasts.
It has Ton's of good information.
Its just, the Moderators are kept very busy!

John :?
Well, maybe it's "possible" that welders (in general) tend to have a few spats now and then...and some large egos...and some words tend to fly... ;)

Moderators do a good job I think.

I like this site too :D
Dave J.

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc

Otto Nobedder wrote:Still waiting for someone to laugh at the statement, "All generalizations are bad..."

Saw that on a signboard at a burrito shop at the edge of campus, did a double-take, and laughed my ass off!

Steve S
That's awesome - can't believe I missed that! :lol: :lol:
Dave J.

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc

Maybe I'll give WW another look. It's been two years or so since I stopped visiting from frustration. If the moderators have it in check, now...

Steve S

Otto Nobedder wrote:Maybe I'll give WW another look. It's been two years or so since I stopped visiting from frustration. If the moderators have it in check, now...

Steve S
I wasn't on there at that time, but members have commented on how things were, often enough that I'm sure your experience was shared by others
Dave J.

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc

MinnesotaDave wrote:
Otto Nobedder wrote:Maybe I'll give WW another look. It's been two years or so since I stopped visiting from frustration. If the moderators have it in check, now...

Steve S
I wasn't on there at that time, but members have commented on how things were, often enough that I'm sure your experience was shared by others
Thanks for that. I will give it another look (soon, after I get past a big headache with my current job that limits my time here).

Steve S
hacadacalopolis
    Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:14 am

I have been using thoriated and pure for about 2 weeks straight. I've just started with aluminum and I am so easily frustrated with the wandering arc I get on a tjoint with the miller syncrowave 250. It is extremely aggravating. Will the lanthanated tungsten help with that?

hacadacalopolis wrote:I have been using thoriated and pure for about 2 weeks straight. I've just started with aluminum and I am so easily frustrated with the wandering arc I get on a tjoint with the miller syncrowave 250. It is extremely aggravating. Will the lanthanated tungsten help with that?
I recently taught my son to tig aluminum for his high school robot team build. (Pics and video)
http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?34 ... highlight=

I showed him how the arc will wander around when not using enough amperage. My old Airco is balanced wave only so it is more pronounced than with your adjustable balance syncrowave.

On 1/8"+ square tubing I have him set at 230 amps, he punches it wide open for a second, puddle starts great and he tapers off as needed. His tacks are wide open.

I'm sure that with your balance adjusted for more penetration you would only set it to 200 amps for the same effect.

We use 1/8" 2% thoriated tungsten but I've been told your machine can get by with 3/32" thoriated or 1/8" pure.

If you started with steel and recently switched to aluminum, sneaking up to your welding amps will work fine on steel, but not so good on aluminum. Use enough amps to get a shiny puddle in 3 seconds or less, then have at it.

Just how I do it, others have a slower style that just doesn't work for me.
Dave J.

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
hacadacalopolis

Thanks for that tip.
With starting that much amperage the tungsten doesn't spit and break off on you?

Btw I'm using the bare basic setup, I'm gonna switch to a gas lens( we were out 1/8)
The tig torch I'm using is terrible, having being melted and electrical tape all around it... I'm extremely disappointed at how unsafe it is. I've been shocked pretty bad already in my thumb.

I'm finally getting the hand of the foot pedal. I need to work on bead profile though.it's just those damn 90degree t joints.
hacadacalopolis

Great job with gettn your kid involved with this. He's got them shiny beads.

hacadacalopolis wrote:Thanks for that tip.
With starting that much amperage the tungsten doesn't spit and break off on you?

Btw I'm using the bare basic setup, I'm gonna switch to a gas lens( we were out 1/8)
The tig torch I'm using is terrible, having being melted and electrical tape all around it... I'm extremely disappointed at how unsafe it is. I've been shocked pretty bad already in my thumb.

I'm finally getting the hand of the foot pedal. I need to work on bead profile though.it's just those damn 90degree t joints.

Great job with gettn your kid involved with this. He's got them shiny beads.
I switch between standard and gas lens setup depending on what I'm doing and if it'll fit or not. Think we had a #8 standard cup on a WP-26 air cooled.

The high amps don't seem to bother the 1/8" thoriated. I've welded long (36") seams of 3/16" diamond plate at 200-230 amps and it hangs in there.
With 3/32" lanthanated and thoriated it would literally spray tungsten off the end. :o

Remember, your machine is easier on tungsten since your balance is adjustable.

Thanks for the complement - mike is liking the tig - hang in there and it will get better. :D
Dave J.

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
hacadacalopolis

Well with that being said Dave, I'm going to keep the dial at 200 A.
I try and keep my balance as low as I can( between 3-5 on syncrowave). Would you recommend my amps as previously stated with 1/4 " aluminum? I also tried starting off without balling tungsten. I'm just on standard tjoint coupon right now.