Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Vicoor
    Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:21 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm working on an automotive project, and am going to have to modify the aluminum radiator.

I'll have to reshape one of the end tanks and relocated both necks.

Questions I have are;
Are there any special considerations I should be aware of because the core is "nocolok" brazed?

And what alloy should I use for the parts I'm gone to make as well as what filler rod?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give

Victor
Don't talk about it, Just do it!
    Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:30 pm

Welcome to the site Victor.

racingparts (a member here) does radiator work as seen here. Maybe PM him about it. 4043 or 5356 for filler would be my guess.
Go break something, then you can weld it back the right way.

Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Welcome to the site Victor.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
Vicoor

Thanks for the replies and warm greetings.

I've been all over the web looking for info.

Seems like, due to the temps associated with the cooling system, it would be best to use 4043 filler.

I'm still not sure about what alloy would be best for the necks, and adding to an end tank.

Some info Ive found says 3005 is used on radiators, But so far I haven't found a source.

I'm thinking 6061 may be suitable and can be sourced just about anywhere.
Vicoor

I am glad to report that the aforementioned modifications appear to be a success!

I cut the radiator up, Fabricated some new parts, and welded it back together.

After great deliberation I choose to use 1/16" 3003 sheet, and 4043 filler.

To make sure that it is not leaking, I made up some adapters and pressurized it to 20psi and checked for leaks in a tank of water. I did find 4 very small leaks where some of the welds overlapped. But I welded those up and left pressure on it overnight, and it did not loose pressure. My concerns about creating problems with the brazed core did not happen. So now I just have to finish the rest of the modifications on the car and get it running.

I'll post a write-up in another thread in the coming days to show the process.