Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Zach_T
    Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:48 am

Was wondering if anyone could recommend a tig welder that's good for some repair work but mostly fab work in a garage? I do have a 220v plug installed already
If ya ain't burnin ya ain't earnin
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

what metals do you need to weld :?:
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024

If you "ONLY" need DC capability,
The Everlast PowerArc 160 or 200 would be a good choice

2 cents

John ;)

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
Zach_T

Aluminum stainless and steel
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

How thick of aluminum? That is the deal maker/breaker for amperage.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
Zach_T

Probably nothing thicker than 1/4" if that
Zach_T

Actually 1/8"
rahtreelimbs
    Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:39 pm

Look into the Thermal Arc 186
rake
    Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:19 pm

Everlast PowerTig 185 Micro

http://www.everlastgenerators.com/Power ... 10-pd.html

5 year warranty too!
jwmacawful
    Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:23 pm

Zach_T wrote:Was wondering if anyone could recommend a tig welder that's good for some repair work but mostly fab work in a garage? I do have a 220v plug installed already
you need a welding machine for a garage? are you sure you need a tig machine to weld body panels or a new floor in the chevy? you didn't say what kind of garage but if it's a repair shop
maybe all you need is a good 110v mig machine? unless you're building race cars. you were kinda vague in your op
    Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:05 pm

The PowerPro 205 comes with a Tig torch, 50 amp Plasma cutter and Stick holder.
It also comes with the foot pedal, flow gauges, spare consumables, regulators, etc.
http://www.everlastgenerators.com/Power ... 79-pd.html
My main reason for choosing the 205 over the 256 was because I didn't have to rewire the garage.
The standard 240v-30amp breaker works fine. The duty cycle is very reasonable.
Zach_T

jwmacawful wrote:
Zach_T wrote:Was wondering if anyone could recommend a tig welder that's good for some repair work but mostly fab work in a garage? I do have a 220v plug installed already
you need a welding machine for a garage? are you sure you need a tig machine to weld body panels or a new floor in the chevy? you didn't say what kind of garage but if it's a repair shop
maybe all you need is a good 110v mig machine? unless you're building race cars. you were kinda vague in your op
Sorry meant for garage at the house just general fab use

Used is not a bad thing. I've got a monster tig/stick welder and have $250 in it. (My avatar)

High quality with 470 amp top end - so 100% duty cycle where I normally weld at.

Works great and I would not hesitate to use it every day if I had enough work for it.

I like it enough that if I ever burn it out I'll buy another just like it.

Many people like the new small inverters - just not for me for my general use (I do have a portable maxstar 150 stick though).
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc

Zach_T wrote:
jwmacawful wrote:

since your only going go to be working with 1/8 max material, one of the tig/stick inverter's mentioned earlier would serve you well. The everlast 185 micro is a good little welder And it runs on 110 and two twenty. happy hunting ;)

Trump/Carson 2016-2024

rake wrote:Everlast PowerTig 185 Micro

http://www.everlastgenerators.com/Power ... 10-pd.html

5 year warranty too!
http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/tig ... -demo.html

Jody's video on it :arrow:

Trump/Carson 2016-2024
jwmacawful
    Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:23 pm

Zach_T wrote:
jwmacawful wrote:
my mistake. sorry zach
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:44 am

Look for a used Lincoln Squarewave TIG 175. I love mine. Excellent low end start for the thin stuff.
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

If I missed it sorry, but you did not say how deep your pockets are.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
TamJeff
    Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:46 am

250 amp minimum. Everyone I know that has bought a smaller machine wishes they had bought a larger one. Most handicap themselves with a budget as the say all. 6 months goes by and they could have saved a larger budget. In my experience, smaller machines limits the learning curve over all. If the machine will do more, so will you.

I bought a used, 300 amp Miller A/BP. It's a dinosaur but it kicks aluminum's ass and kicks it quietly. I've never really been limited welding about anything I can fit in the yard that is not too big to irk the neighbors. I did build a full rigged flybridge for a 40 something foot Bertram. That got them talking for a spell.

The hardest part about these questions is trying to find that fine line between hobbyist and someone that has the potential to be serious about welding. To me, there is no real middle ground. Welding is one of those things, in my opinion, that you should just do all the way, which is pretty much the way I address these questions.
Miller ABP 330, Syncrowave 250, Dynasty 300 DX.
Honorary member of the Fraternity of Faded Tee Shirts.

TamJeff wrote:250 amp minimum. Everyone I know that has bought a smaller machine wishes they had bought a larger one. Most handicap themselves with a budget as the say all. 6 months goes by and they could have saved a larger budget. In my experience, smaller machines limits the learning curve over all. If the machine will do more, so will you.

I bought a used, 300 amp Miller A/BP. It's a dinosaur but it kicks aluminum's ass and kicks it quietly. I've never really been limited welding about anything I can fit in the yard that is not too big to irk the neighbors. I did build a full rigged flybridge for a 40 something foot Bertram. That got them talking for a spell.

The hardest part about these questions is trying to find that fine line between hobbyist and someone that has the potential to be serious about welding. To me, there is no real middle ground. Welding is one of those things, in my opinion, that you should just do all the way, which is pretty much the way I address these questions.
Yep, 250 amps minimum. 200 amp machine has too low duty cycle for aluminum.

TamJeff's miller is the same as my Airco (miller made the Airco) and they are also awesome stick welders as a bonus :D
Dave J.

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc