Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Zach_T
    Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:48 am

I am new to tig welding I can run a good weld with mig and stick and want to try tig but don't want to spend the money on a tig welder just yet, was wondering if anyone could give me some info and explain what all a scratch start rig has and what all I would need to get for a scratch start rig thanks
If ya ain't burnin ya ain't earnin
rake
    Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:19 pm

Back in the old days we actually did a lot of simple scratch start tig in the shipyards.
You are just using a DC stick machine as a power supply set up electrode negative.
You need a tig torch with a built in gas valve, a whip (gas hose-power cable combination,
A power block to connect your whip to your machine, a flow meter and an argon bottle.

As implied you simply "scratch" to initiate the arc. Watch Jody's videos on scratch start tig
as there are some great tips on technique there.
    Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:05 pm

My very first TIG setup was nothing more than a small portable tank of argon
with a preset argon regulator (with no gauges or flow meter)
http://www.weldingandcutting.com/Produc ... 34-438-000
I used the Lincoln Invertec V100-S for the power supply and the WeldCraft WP-26v with manual gas valve.
Zach_T

Thanks a lot! But can anybody recommend a decent torch and hoses ect... I have no idea what I'm looking at for tig but I would like just a simple torch that's not terribly expensive
    Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:05 pm

This setup will get you started for $750. (plus you will need an argon tank)
http://www.everlastwelders.ca/tigwelder ... -200-t.php
Zach_T wrote:I am new to tig welding I can run a good weld with mig and stick and want to try tig but don't want to spend the money on a tig welder just yet, was wondering if anyone could give me some info and explain what all a scratch start rig has and what all I would need to get for a scratch start rig thanks
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Zach_T wrote:Thanks a lot! But can anybody recommend a decent torch and hoses ect... I have no idea what I'm looking at for tig but I would like just a simple torch that's not terribly expensive
Here is one from Welding City on ebay. I use their torches and they work fine.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/WP-26FV-12R-12- ... 2ec54f506a

This package is a flex head - I use flex because I have problems with my wrist and this flexes for me.
The hose is not super flex, but it's fine for learning.

The big copper power block has a wing where you bolt a cable from your machine, just clamp your stick electrode holder to it.
What stick welder are you going to use?

The threaded hole is for your gas from your regulator.

I use the HTP flow meter, cheap and works good.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HTP-Argon-CO2-M ... 20b74c4d3c

Just need a hose to connect regulator to power block and you're done. One from your mig may work, so would the regulator.

Good luck and have fun! :D
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
Zach_T

Was going to use a longevity stickweld 250
nickn372
    Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:35 am

I scratch start when I tig. Just go to you welding equipment supplier and tell them you want:
1. #17 tig torch with a valve, 2 piece lead and either 10 or 25 foot lead length
2. A tig torch accessory kit (will have some collets and cups etc.. that you will need)
3. A pack of 3/32 electrodes (red seems to be most common but see what they recommend for what you want to practice on)
4. A pure argon (no mixes) bottle and flow meter

This should be all you need. I have weldcraft tig torch etc. Again with this stuff until you are accomplished and tigging a lot you probably won't notice a difference in brand. Watch Jody's videos and you will get some good tips there too. Good luck.
Be the monkey....
Zach_T

nickn372 wrote:I scratch start when I tig. Just go to you welding equipment supplier and tell them you want:
1. #17 tig torch with a valve, 2 piece lead and either 10 or 25 foot lead length
2. A tig torch accessory kit (will have some collets and cups etc.. that you will need)
3. A pack of 3/32 electrodes (red seems to be most common but see what they recommend for what you want to practice on)
4. A pure argon (no mixes) bottle and flow meter

This should be all you need. I have weldcraft tig torch etc. Again with this stuff until you are accomplished and tigging a lot you probably won't notice a difference in brand. Watch Jody's videos and you will get some good tips there too. Good luck.
Any idea how much all that will run??
nickn372

Depends on your local prices and if you buy or rent the tank and what you may already own like a flow meter. The tig torch and leads with accessories will go $100-$150 ballpark.
Be the monkey....
nickn372

Total cost should be less than $400 and that's if you buy the cylinder of argon. I hear a lot of "for only another $300 you can have a dedicated tig machine" which isn't exactly true cuz you usually end up getting half this stuff with it to so it goes a whole lot higher in price than advertised. Scratch start is a great way to learn tig basics then you can move into a high frequency machine with some bells and whistles.
Be the monkey....