Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:18 pm

ok so today I was tig welding a steel stand to do out of position welds and I was welding a thick piece of steel to 1/8" square tubing and I did a single weld all the way around and just for a lets try this sake I decided to do a multi pass weld and I tried to do a just a bigger weld bead but the bottom would cool down so I couldn't move anywhere and I just don't know how to do a multi pass weld with multiple beads because on bead was too low and another was too high and cutting the top of my metal so I don't know what to do any help would be appreciated
YesMadBro
    Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:59 pm

dewdrop9 wrote:ok so today I was tig welding a steel stand to do out of position welds and I was welding a thick piece of steel to 1/8" square tubing and I did a single weld all the way around and just for a lets try this sake I decided to do a multi pass weld and I tried to do a just a bigger weld bead but the bottom would cool down so I couldn't move anywhere and I just don't know how to do a multi pass weld with multiple beads because on bead was too low and another was too high and cutting the top of my metal so I don't know what to do any help would be appreciated
As far as on the top when you are finishing your weld you have to really get in there with the filler rod so you don't get that cut. And as far as multi pass welds it just takes a bit of practice. You just over lap the first bead with the secon, use the edge of the first as the center line for the second.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

While I would think the multi-pass weld unneeded in this case (as one member is 1/8"), I'd suggest doing a three-pass weld because of the different thicknesses. I assume the sole purpose was practice.

The second pass would be on the heavy section, at a relatively high amperage, only adding metal to the heavy side, drawing the puddle just to the top of the first pass. The third pass would be done at a lower amperage suitable for the 1/8" part, using madbro's suggestion of using the weld-line as the centerline of your pass.

You always have to consider the ability of each side of a "dissimilar thickness" weld to carry the heat away.

Steve S