Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Steve49suzuki
    Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:02 pm

Hello here is my issue been welding for several months not really had a problem up until now. I weld a lot of ali and the frosty band seems to have disappeared from my arc. Its there to start with then seems to go. Now is this an arc problem or gas flow or welder in general??? Any advice greatly received.

I have changed the gas, changed the torch, the gas lens, high flow argon low flow, checked the earth clamp, cleaned with acetone generally its new ali I weld. 6082 tube with 4043 filler tried 4047

Welder is r tech 250 ac/dc welder 6 months old.

I tweaked the balance one way then the other max penertration and burns end of electrode and the other way nothing seems to help. 2% lanthenated electrode

Thanks steve
Attachments
welding pic.jpg
welding pic.jpg (49.6 KiB) Viewed 1191 times
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

If you've lost "cleaning", the oxide zone outside the weld, I suspect the problem is in the machine. Perhaps lost a rectifier? You are not getting enough of the "electrode positive" portion of the cycle.

The only test I can think of is to try a pure tungsten, and observe the balling. If the arc balance does not affect the balling, you may be looking at a machine issue. Might even have an "open" in the arc-balance pot.

BTW, max penetration should be easiest on the electrode, max cleaning the hardest...

Good luck, and let us know what you find.

Steve S
TamJeff
    Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:46 am

I don't know the machine, but my old transformer, using pure tungsten calls for the high frequency to be set at continuous when welding AC on aluminum. Has someone inadvertently set the high frequency to "start"? Do the newer machines even have this option? We have SW's and a Dynasty, the latter of which doesn't have it.
Miller ABP 330, Syncrowave 250, Dynasty 300 DX.
Honorary member of the Fraternity of Faded Tee Shirts.
Steve49suzuki

Thanks for reply. Going to contact the welding shop tomorrow welder is still under warranty. Havnt had a problem up until recently so something's gone wrong. Hoping its machine fault otherwise am screwed. I will let you know. Cheers
Steve49suzuki

Contacted supplier Monday he recommended changing collet which was the only thing I hadn't tried and it was just the same. Frosty band around weld was there to start with and after couple of seconds it really narrows. So packaged it up and sending my complete package back. Fingers crossed something's wrong with internal parts. Otherwise am going to look a complete plank.

Steve
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Steve49suzuki wrote:...Frosty band around weld was there to start with and after couple of seconds it really narrows...

Steve
Well, there's a detail you left out in the original description.

This, too, points to a machine problem, though. Some element in the system is heating up (rapidly) and changing in performance.

Remember, it worked fine not long ago, and you didn't suddenly "unlearn" how to weld, unless you had a stroke! It's a machine problem.

I hope the folks you sent it to agree.

Steve S
Steve49suzuki

Hello the welder is back at the shop they were on with testing it when I rang at 5pm so should find out tomorrow. I sent everything back so hopefully they can test it as I was welding with it. The collet had closed up a little like I said im a hobby welder lol.

steve
Steve49suzuki

Hello. Got another bottle of gas from a major gas suppliers and problem solved. Can't believe it but back to normal
Bigs thanks to r-tech welding got the welder picked up and checked it out for free under warranty. I did say I tried different gas but from the same place.

Cheers
ajlskater1
    Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:32 am

Good find. 9 times out of 10 its seems like its a argon issue. Either bad gas, leak, bad defuser. I just had a bad defuser mess me up at work yesterday. Took me half the day to figure it out.