Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
michialt
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:36 pm

Im looking for some advice on how to manage temperatures. Im working on 1/8" angle welded into a frame, then 1/8" sheet welded to the frame to create a box. 28" x 35" x 2"

Frame was easy. I then tacked the sheet on the inside with 1" tacks, 2 per side. flipped the piece over and ran beads around the frame. Had a few gaps, and filled them with filler. These long beads are where I have issues. As I work along the bead, the torch starts to get ver hot, and I can feel it through my glove. After about 12" to 18" it's too hot to continue.

Doing the outside beads wasn't too bad, by the time the torch was hot, I would be ready to take a break and reposition myself to the piece anyway. The bigger problem is when I flipped the piece back over and started running beads around the inside edges. On the inside I'm able to maybe run 6" to 8" before things get too hot.

Something else I noticed is that the sheet has a slight bow in the center, kinda looks like the metal has expanded and is causing the bow.

I'm using a #17 torch with 2.4mm Red Tungsten, #6 cup and 1/8" filler. Petal is set to 140amps, and I'd estimate that I'm running 100 to 125amps for most of the time. Every time it gets too hot I have to break for 10 or 15 minutes.

Is this just normal for an air cooled torch? Is there a something Im doing wrong, or something I can do to allow me to get more work done? I don't have the budget to go water cooled right now.
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Hi - torches vary a bit - some good brand ( expensive ) torches handle a bit more power than other but the average WP17 generic torch is only rated 150amps max BUT at 35% duty cycle - so you are close to it's maximum so expect to be able to weld only 3minutes out of any ten - if you were to go up to the WP26 size as water cooled is real expensive even the generic ones are rated at 200 amps and 100% duty cycle ( or close ) - it's obviously bigger & heavier but all your consumables fit & if the length is a problem you could try to find the stubby gas lense kit & fit a shorter back cap.
Good luck with the project.