Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
krazziee
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:21 am

I have a wp-20 on the machine when I bought it, I don't know how much it was used but may have been a lot.
The long black cap that tightens the tungsten will not tighten, the cap seems ok so it must be the torch body.
If I loosen the collet body a turn or two it will thread in further and seems to tighten up fine.
I do not tighten this part very much, just snug, but it seems to be stripped out at the top of the threads.
I have 2 questions :
Is it ok to leave the collet body loose and tighten the cap to it instead of having the collet body tight in the torch body ?
Can the torch itself be changed without changing the leads and is this the way to go. My leads are ok.
Any help with this would be nice, before I mess up something else.
Thanks
Richard
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away...
Lincoln Squarewave 335, water cooled WP20 torch with pedal control
Millermatic 200 mig
Thermodynamics Cutmaster 52 Plasma
Old stick welder
Cutting torch, saws and grinders
Very little talent.
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Hi - at a push you can carry on using the torch though I doubt with that little thread it will last much longer - the only thing I've found when doing this is there can be enough gap between the back of the ceramic cup /insulator and the rubber body air will leak into the gas flow - if this happens don't despair - I put an "O" ring on to pack the distance out & that works fine.
Torch bodies only - or torch bodies complete with handle are readily available without buying the hose assembly - if you can't find them locally check on Ebay - plenty on there at affordable prices.
krazziee

thanks for the info, I need all the help I can get, you know..
Millermatic 200 mig
Old stick welder
Very little talent.
krazziee

bought a new one and installed. no problem,
thanks ,
Richard
Millermatic 200 mig
Old stick welder
Very little talent.