Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
allen6634
    Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:16 pm

some time ago, i had a coworker bring a tig out fit that would run off a stick welder, i would like to have a rid like that, but the problem is i don't know what it was called, or the typ of welder ii must have to run a set up like that. my coworker was a retired boilermaker, so he had so me great welding skills .
i know that this rig required a scrach to start it he also said that i would need to add something to it to weld aluminum with it,the thing just connected to the stinger of the stick machine that was in the shop, one niht he hooked it up to the welder and ran some beeds.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Allen, I learned on a rig like that.

It's a simple rig. A torch with a manual gas valve ON the torch, and a good flowmeter (or oxygen regulator) at the bottle.

They make a "lug" where you clamp your stick-weld stinger to the "hot" for the torch.

Steve S
    Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:05 pm

countryboy1127
    Wed May 01, 2013 7:28 pm

i used one setup like that for a long time doing stainless welds its like steve said theres a lug you can buy to hook it up to i cut a small piece of old lead and put a male end connector on it just to be able to hook rite into my lead with out having to use my whip .works great
Vince51
    Sun May 19, 2013 9:46 pm

It's all I ever use. Can be had for under $100. Weld anything on this planet with it under the right conditions. Even aluminum when its super clean. Good argument telling your local weld equipment supply kid you tig weld off a Lincoln pipeliner with no foot pedal. One of these days I'll have one of those fancy inverters tho. Just ask for a model 17 torch with a hose and lead lug at a welding store.
allen6634
    Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:16 pm

Vince51 wrote:It's all I ever use. Can be had for under $100. Weld anything on this planet with it under the right conditions. Even aluminum when its super clean. Good argument telling your local weld equipment supply kid you tig weld off a Lincoln pipeliner with no foot pedal. One of these days I'll have one of those fancy inverters tho. Just ask for a model 17 torch with a hose and lead lug at a welding store.
the reson i asked this was that i seen 3 set ups at my loacal pawn shop, i don't know how to i d them orany thing about them, i think the askin price is fair, and i do pay to have all my real fine welds (such as steering shaft s and the such) so i thouht that if i bought one i could do my own work.