Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
ReneR
    Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:06 pm

Hello,

I'am welding stainless and I have grey welds they have not the nice volors Jody has. I did trey several this but I have no idee what is going wrong. I did focus on my torch hight and try the speed, but has no idee where to look now.

How can tell me whay my weld are grey.

I use solarflux as backpurge (exsoust system)
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

The grey color is likely from overheating the base metal by not using enough heat. It seams counter intuitive but if you don’t use enough amps to get the puddle started and keep it moving then the heat builds up so much in the base metal that your cover gas is not still covering till it’s cool enough.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
BillE.Dee
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:53 pm

Hello Rene. As Josh stated ,, the gray is most likely due to lingering in one spot waiting for things to happen. Use more heat and make it happen and get MOVING.
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

as above, amps to low makes you go to slow and you cook it.

the speed and accuracy you need for stainless is something i find difficult and rather poor at doing.
i suggest using no filler and do some runs at different amps. look at the colour but also the heat tint away from the weld. the wider it is the hotter the work got.
tweak it until it breaks
BillE.Dee
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:53 pm

also, Rene, Jody shows lots of welding of stainless but if you look up the fabrication series you will see where he shows the effects of overheating stainless.
Spartan
    Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:59 pm

Also try using some AL chill bars if it is thin SS. Not always practical in real-world applications, but it helps the learning experience. Eventually you will be able to do it without the chill bars once you understand the effect of heat input and how to mitigate it.
ReneR
    Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:06 pm

Thanks for all your nice answers. I did trying many things of the answers. I fid without filler and that is going super nice collors and good looking welds. On the moment i start to use filler I found out to put the amps mini up. And dipping and speed is my problem for shore but that is exsperions. So I have to make time on the welder.