Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

always be comfortable.

that video looks anything but comfortable.
the main issue is see straight off is your on the edge of the table with nothing to prop onto.
put the piece back on the table further so you can rest your arms on the edge of the table. make the table higher (or seat lower) is you have to.
use the handle, either like a pencil or an axe. whatever you find comfortable. position the work piece so its in the right place where you can move comfortably.

this is something i strike a LOT.
i only have a small table often with clamps going everywhere to hold stuff in place. a big balancing act to get every thing to sit right without falling off. so many times i try to do it quicker and be poorly position and the welding goes to crap.

shorten that tungsten up, yes it may technically be fine, but shorten is better plus it stops you from doing really bad angles and make you get into the right position to see.
also proper tungsten grind. if you dip it (as per video) go grind it again because i'll bet you broke the tip off.
steel welding likes a nice sharp tip. go grind a heap of them so you can just change them out and yes its most certainly one of the most frustrating parts of learning tig.
but hang in there you will get it.
tweak it until it breaks
Olecoot
    Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:01 pm

Thanks for all the tips and ideas :) I'll work on my tig welding and post back when they are moar better. Image
Fame is vapor, popularity an accident, riches take wings. Only one thing endures and that is Character.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Olecoot wrote:Thanks for all the tips and ideas :) I'll work on my tig welding and post back when they are moar better. Image
I will say, your picture and video capturing skills are far above the norm! That alone will help you out even moar! :D
Olecoot

Oscar wrote:
Olecoot wrote:Thanks for all the tips and ideas :) I'll work on my tig welding and post back when they are moar better. Image
I will say, your picture and video capturing skills are far above the norm! That alone will help you out even moar! :D
Thanks :) .. next time you head North up around SA, holler and we can have a Corona together. they are always cold..
Fame is vapor, popularity an accident, riches take wings. Only one thing endures and that is Character.
BugHunter
    Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:54 pm

If I were to make one suggestion (in addition to the others already offered), I'd say get some long sleeves... Your arms are gonna be burnt something terrible and you'll smell like an Auschwitz victim. Exposed skin when welding is a really bad idea.

Olecoot wrote:
Oscar wrote:
Thanks :) .. next time you head North up around SA, holler and we can have a Corona together. they are always cold..
Actually as soon as I start my vacations on Dec 19 I'm heading up to the Austin area for several days to go brisket munching. I wanna go visit all the great bbq brisket joints in the area including the much talked about Franklin's to see what all the hype is about.
Last edited by Oscar on Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VA-Sawyer
    Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:56 am

Olecoot,

If you are smart, you will invite Oscar to your place. Ask him to check out your welding, and request a few pointers. I'll bet it results in serious improvement to your results. Even if it cost you a six pack of the good stuff.
No sense dying with unused welding rod, so light 'em up!

VA-Sawyer wrote:Olecoot,

If you are smart, you will invite Oscar to your place. Ask him to check out your welding, and request a few pointers. I'll bet it results in serious improvement to your results. Even if it cost you a six pack of the good stuff.
Dang, now the pressure is on! :lol:
Olecoot

VA-Sawyer wrote:Olecoot,

A worthy cause to be sure. I'll have to smoke a brisket also so he does get the best in Texas. :mrgreen:
VA-Sawyer

Oscar wrote:
Now for the REAL pressure...... We want to see photos of welds done before, and after, the training. :lol:

VA-Sawyer wrote:
Oscar wrote:
Now for the REAL pressure...... We want to see photos of welds done before, and after, the training. :lol:
Should be no problem, Instagram has lots I can squander if things don't go as planned! :lol:
Olecoot wrote:
A worthy cause to be sure. I'll have to smoke a brisket also so he does get the best in Texas. :mrgreen:
Careful now, I am very critical of other's brisket, and I don't sugar-coat nor hold back! Have you seen the other thread? :lol:
VA-Sawyer

Oscar,
You need to behave yourself. You are there to criticize his welding, not his cooking. This could result in a 'triple win'. The OP gets in person help with his welding, you get a good meal, and the rest of us get to read a good story. 8-)

ok, ok, I'll behave :)
BillE.Dee
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:53 pm

Oscar behaving ??? LOL...snow storm in Laredo
Olecoot

I'm looking forward to this... Welding, Brisket, Corona's.. Oscar, you able to eat Ribs and Brisket or just Brisket? Image
VA-Sawyer

Ribs? Good TEXAS ribs? I'm supposed to be taking dad to Florida soon, but maybe I can detour through Texas and do a tig demo. It would only cost an extra $700 or so for fuel. I wonder if dad would notice? :roll:
Olecoot

for that amount of travel we would have to do the Trifecta Image
Olecoot

VA-Sawyer wrote:Ribs? Good TEXAS ribs? I'm supposed to be taking dad to Florida soon, but maybe I can detour through Texas and do a tig demo. It would only cost an extra $700 or so for fuel. I wonder if dad would notice? :roll:
Texas Ribs :)
texas-ribs.jpg
texas-ribs.jpg (50.46 KiB) Viewed 2140 times

VA-Sawyer wrote:Ribs? Good TEXAS ribs? I'm supposed to be taking dad to Florida soon, but maybe I can detour through Texas and do a tig demo. It would only cost an extra $700 or so for fuel. I wonder if dad would notice? :roll:
That would be quite a detour! :lol:

Where is av8or1 ? Havent seen him lately; he's in Austin he might need to jump in on the fun. Possibly the first WT&T weld-o-rama? :lol:
Olecoot

Oscar,
Since La Corona is getting in the way of me physically sharing some brisket, here's a virtual sample...

sammich.jpg
sammich.jpg (87.12 KiB) Viewed 1994 times
future-sammich.jpg
future-sammich.jpg (59.05 KiB) Viewed 1994 times
the-point.jpg
the-point.jpg (89.26 KiB) Viewed 1994 times

very nice!
VA-Sawyer

Well, we finally made it to Florida. Had to do it without any ribs!
Was suppised to leave last Tuesday, but the motorhome got stuck in my yard due to mud. Finally got out on Saturday morning. What fun.

When will you two manage to get together? I'm looking foward to hearing how it goes.
Olecoot

VA-Sawyer wrote:Well, we finally made it to Florida. Had to do it without any ribs!
Was suppised to leave last Tuesday, but the motorhome got stuck in my yard due to mud. Finally got out on Saturday morning. What fun.

When will you two manage to get together? I'm looking foward to hearing how it goes.
Glad y'all made it to FLA.

Hard to say when Oscar and I will get to meet up right now. Covid19 is really bad here ( Actually pretty much everywhere) Hopefully later in the new year when things are not so bad we can meet up and have a nice visit.

Olecoot wrote:
VA-Sawyer wrote:Well, we finally made it to Florida. Had to do it without any ribs!

Glad y'all made it to FLA.

Hard to say when Oscar and I will get to meet up right now. Covid19 is really bad here ( Actually pretty much everywhere) Hopefully later in the new year when things are not so bad we can meet up and have a nice visit.
Yup, my city has one of the highest hospitalization rates in Texas, so yea it's pretty bad everywhere.
av8or1

I'm in WRT Oscar's WT&T weld-o-rama event, provided that COVID receeds sufficiently. We're still sheltering in place for the most part. Not too much time as of late for fabrication projects on my end, unfortunately. 'Been doing too much automotive stuff, but that's how I spend most of the free time generally speaking anyway, so ... no huge surprise there. Still, I need to jump back on the BBQ smoker build...

Y'all have a good holiday!