Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
foamballer
    Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:57 am

Otto Nobedder wrote:
foamballer wrote:Do you mean for the HF contacts? I had to give mine a bit of clean/re gap the other day. I just adjusted by trial and error until I was happy, but I'm sure my gap ended up around 0.5mm (0.02")
Yes, the HF contacts was what I was referring to, and I was using numbers from the Lincoln Precision TIG 325 and Miller Synchrowave 250 DX, in particular.
If you got your best results at .020, may I ask what machine? Others with that machine may get bad results with my numbers.
Steve S
foamballer wrote:Yeah, the circuitry could be completely different. My welder's from a company called Tokentools, I think they are only in Australia. The owner is a bit of an electrical whiz and specs the machines out himself, but they are put together in China. Mine's an older model of this one http://www.tokentools.com.au/prod55.htm.
weldin mike 27 wrote:Hey,
I must say, I am suprised. I read though the token tools link. Sorry for the hijack but i just thought they fitted into the ol ebay crap category . Guess not. I ll keep them in mind.
Mick
I put this in a new thread to divert the hijack :D
OK firstly I've got no affiliation with tokentools, but I have had quite a bit of contact with them simply because of the great pre- AND post-sales service. This would be one of the key reasons I'll be happy to buy from him again. Long warranty too.
My machine itself works great. It has great duty cycle %, I'm sure the specs on the website are under-quoted - which probably sets them apart from the cheap ebayers.
Out of the big brands, I only really used a Kempii mastertig 2500 for any length of time, and in terms of TIG welding in the 30 - 150 amp range there really wasn't a practical difference that I could tell (didn't use it outside of that range). But apart from that I can't really compare against other machines.
I've only had one issue with the machine over 3 years. I just use it sporadically, but I just figured out that I've done about 70 hours of tig arc time on it (based on gas usage), and I've probably burnt about 30kg of stick through it. It's got a plasma cutter function too, but I've only started using that recently. The issue was due to the foot controller sticking on, which I didn't realise, and I inadvertently switched modes whilst the current was on which blew a relay. I emailed Pete (saturday afternoon), he rang straight away talked me through what to do so I could start welding again (I was up and running in 15 mins because he's not just a salesman, but actually knows what he's talking about) and a new part turned up on Monday afternoon for a permanent repair.
Only two annoying things - one is the switch on the tig torch is very easy to bump (if not connected to the foot controller), and occasionally the foot controller needs a bit of maintenance. Of course it would be great if it was 100% Australian made (or of course US !) and every part perfect - but then it would be 3 times the price which I just couldn't justify for my usage. Overall I have no hesitation in recommending them.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hey,

Thanks for the low down. I will remember the name.

Mick
offgridqld
    Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:54 am

Yes its more or less or Ford - Holden comparison between Tokentools & Everlast in Australia. No they are not identical but Very similar products , price and service from what I can tell is about the same. I had a mate trying to pick between the two And In the end I just suggested to just give them both a call. Then make your choice based on that.

Kurt.
Off grid workshop - Melting metal with power from the sun .