Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
DougW
    Tue May 12, 2020 7:45 pm

Is there any appreciable gain to be had for the upcharge on brand name fillers?

Is Blue Demon brand as good as Lincolin's SuperGlaze? How does does Crown Alloys rate? Hobart branded filler? Or... is price the only true consideration you make when purchasing filler rods/wire?
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

For code work, stick rods matter a great deal. For hobby work, not so much. I buy Crown TIG filler an awful lot from IOC online and have great results.
DougW

cj737 wrote:For code work, stick rods matter a great deal. For hobby work, not so much. I buy Crown TIG filler an awful lot from IOC online and have great results.
Thanks CJ.... I'm in the process of upping my inventory so I don't have to be concerned with having "stuff" on hand. There's not a lot of price difference in name/no-name fillers but why spend it if it isn't necessary?

I don't ever see me stick welding. For me stick welding is only called for outdoors in a hostile environment where shielding gas isn't a viable option. No doubt there are applications where the stick is the preferred choice regardless of conditions - I suppose.

Thanks again!
VA-Sawyer
    Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:56 am

I think the name brands might hold up a bit better in storage.
No sense dying with unused welding rod, so light 'em up!
DougW

speaking of storage...

Is it worthwhile to incorporate desiccant packets in the rod storage tubes?
Spartan
    Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:59 pm

I mainly just use the brands from my LWS. Inweld, weldcote, and washington alloys mostly.

Industrial-level quality, so no reason to doubt them. Nothing flashy about companies like that. Just quality, dependable products. No marketing gimmicks, no flash sales, no free prime shipping. Just stuff that works well.

Filler rod is THE business end of the business end of our welds, and is technically the only product of our welds that the customer actually sees and uses, so I don't try to save a few bucks on them taking chances on dubious brands.

As far as TIG welding goes, in my many years I never had a problem that related to filler, I'd be more concerned with proper weld prep then anything else, IOW clean material, gas flow and coverage, torch angle and tungsten stickout.

I always wipe down my filler with isopropyl alcohol, especially aluminum filler. Even if practicing its good to get into the habit and practice like its a weld for your customer.
Richard
Website
Spartan

DougW wrote:speaking of storage...

It can't hurt. If you weld in a garage with no AC or heat, try to keep your steel filler in the house. Also try to only buy as much as you expect to use in 6-12 months max. The steel fillers can and will corrode if improperly stored for long periods. Same for MIG wire.
VA-Sawyer
    Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:56 am

LtBadd wrote: I always wipe down my filler with isopropyl alcohol, especially aluminum filler. Even if practicing its good to get into the habit and practice like its a weld for your customer.
My main failure during practice. I know better, but don't often do it. Then I sometimes forget when doing real welds.
Richard, you are correct to say 'it is in the prep'. I need to work harder on establishing that good habit. Thanks for the reminder.
No sense dying with unused welding rod, so light 'em up!

Spartan wrote:
DougW wrote:speaking of storage...

It can't hurt. If you weld in a garage with no AC or heat, try to keep your steel filler in the house. Also try to only buy as much as you expect to use in 6-12 months max. The steel fillers can and will corrode if improperly stored for long periods. Same for MIG wire.
My garage has a window AC unit that I only use when I work, I've had steel filler for a few years without problem but it is stored in PVC tubing. I'm in Florida so humidity is high, still the desiccants packs could be useful.
20200623_122444.jpg
20200623_122444.jpg (72.04 KiB) Viewed 2195 times
Richard
Website
DougW

I have a similar, though less extensive, set-up. You went vertical... I went horizontal...

Image20200623_115527 by Doug Wei, on Flickr
Spartan

LtBadd wrote: My garage has a window AC unit that I only use when I work, I've had steel filler for a few years without problem but it is stored in PVC tubing. I'm in Florida so humidity is high, still the desiccants packs could be useful.
Opportunity missed. I just got back from a client's shop where they keep their filler rod just sitting vertically in plywood bins under their welding table. No AC in their shop. Worst rods I've ever seen...unusable because of the corrosion even if scotchbrighted heavily, at least IMO. Wish I would have taken some pics to share here!

No wonder they have started outsourcing their TIG welding... :lol:

DougW wrote:I have a similar, though less extensive, set-up. You went vertical... I went horizontal...

looks good to me, you're all set
Richard
Website

Spartan wrote: Opportunity missed. I just got back from a client's shop where they keep their filler rod just sitting vertically in plywood bins under their welding table. No AC in their shop. Worst rods I've ever seen...unusable because of the corrosion even if scotchbrighted heavily, at least IMO. Wish I would have taken some pics to share here!

I've seen those as well thru the years, seems a good opportunity for you!
The small effort to be organized and at least somewhat clean does pay off with less frustration at the very least 8-)
Richard
Website
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

My filler is color-coded by type, stored against the elements.
Attachments
99C6F728-BDFE-44E6-B9E6-DAF669ECD553.jpeg
99C6F728-BDFE-44E6-B9E6-DAF669ECD553.jpeg (35.58 KiB) Viewed 2178 times
v5cvbb
    Fri May 01, 2020 11:35 pm

What's the common sizes used in these PVC storage tubes? Obviously I can buy what fits, just asking if a certain size works better. I need to get started on a storage rack.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

the 1½" PVC holds 10lbs worth of steel or nickel based rods perfectly. For Aluminum the 3" PVC is better if you buy a 10lb box. Perhaps 2½", but I'm pretty sure its 3".
DougW

I just made mine and I used 3" on the aluminum and 1 1/2" for mild steel. I have yet to purchase any stainless rods.

You "might" could get by with 2 1/2" on 10#s but I think it'd be very close.

cj737 wrote:My filler is color-coded by type, stored against the elements.
Nice rack! :lol:

Seriously though that's a nice setup.
Richard
Website
DougW

LtBadd wrote:
cj737 wrote:My filler is color-coded by type, stored against the elements.
Nice rack! :lol:
I don’t care who you are... that’s funny!!! :lol:
v5cvbb
    Fri May 01, 2020 11:35 pm

Thanks guys. 1.5" and 3" sounds like a plan. I'll get to it.
BugHunter
    Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:54 pm

Spartan wrote:
LtBadd wrote: My garage has a window AC unit that I only use when I work, I've had steel filler for a few years without problem but it is stored in PVC tubing. I'm in Florida so humidity is high, still the desiccants packs could be useful.
Opportunity missed. I just got back from a client's shop where they keep their filler rod just sitting vertically in plywood bins under their welding table. No AC in their shop. Worst rods I've ever seen...unusable because of the corrosion even if scotchbrighted heavily, at least IMO. Wish I would have taken some pics to share here!

When I bought my shop a decade ago there was er70s 2 and er70s 6 hanging on the wall on pegboard hooks. This in the same room where they ground Parts with a 8 inch grinder and everything was covered in filth. I have not thrown the rods away and they are still on the wall. If someone comes in with a farm plow and they want something welded up I will use them but everything from cyberweld comes in a tube and it stays there. The stainless steel is okay and just needs wiped off but the carbon steel rod is absolute garbage and should be used for coat hangers or nothing more. Maybe not even coat hangers.
    Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:37 pm

DougW wrote:Is there any appreciable gain to be had for the upcharge on brand name fillers?

Is Blue Demon brand as good as Lincolin's SuperGlaze? How does does Crown Alloys rate? Hobart branded filler? Or... is price the only true consideration you make when purchasing filler rods/wire?
I look for best price that meets the spec.
It just profits if self-employed.
If you working for some else just get best it all pays the same.

Dave
CopperCulprit
    Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:46 am

DougW wrote:I have a similar, though less extensive, set-up. You went vertical... I went horizontal...

Ahh so this is prob the best way to store if its humid? What if it's in a fairly cold basement, but plastic box
CopperCulprit
    Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:46 am

Ahh so this is prob the best way to store if its humid? What if it's in a fairly cold basement, but plastic box