Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Jakedaawg
    Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:45 pm

I have a mercury Y pipe to weld a hole up in. In the past I have used 5356 and 4043. The 4043 seems to have issues with hole filling and hot short cracking. This is an wet exhaust component so the heat resistant properties of a 40 series filler are preferred over 5356.

Question is: Those of you with 4943 experience, how is the hot short cracking with this filler? Filling a hole there wont be alot of base metal dillution.
Miller Dynasty 280 DX, Lincoln 210 MP, More tools than I have boxes for and a really messy shop.
VA-Sawyer
    Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:56 am

I recall the 4943 having a bit less cracking issues than the 4043. Another rod you might want to consider is 4047. It melts at a lower temperature. Sometimes referred to as Aluminum brazing rod.
I did some playing last year using all 3 rods welding up a square. The 4943 worked best for me. YMMV
No sense dying with unused welding rod, so light 'em up!
Jakedaawg
    Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:45 pm

Just want to give a shout out to my praxair dealer. They hooked me up with a sample of this famed 4943. I'll post how it worked this week.
Miller Dynasty 280 DX, Lincoln 210 MP, More tools than I have boxes for and a really messy shop.