Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Spartan
    Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:59 pm

LtBadd wrote:
Spartan wrote:Testing Chromoly settings in a mock cluster of 1.5" tubing for a motorsports customer. Thick to thin wall requirement on a lot of the clusters, .063/.083. Little cold in some spots, little hot in others on this test cluster, but got it dialed in nicely after a few test runs for the customer's parts.
What filler will you use? Welds look good.
70S-2. Was playing around with both 1/16" and .045" there. The 1/16" really helps with the heat control when turning into those thin cope ends. Little built up, IMO, but the customer is happy with the look on their assemblies.
Thatkid2diesel
    Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:38 am

Playing on the new Primeweld. I think about as good of a job as I can do on a cheap aluminum outdoor patio chair. My wife been after me to try to fix it or toss. I figured I'd give it a shot. Ugly but it will do.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
ImageImage
Hobart Ironman 210
Primeweld Tig225x
Primeweld 160st
TraditionalToolworks
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:49 am

Looks like a solid repair! :)
Collector of old Iron!

Alan

Looks good especially if the wife is happy.

On the back side it looks like you may have used a hard disc to grind the weld, judging by the harsh grinding marks. There are flap disc specially for aluminum, the advantage is they don't clog, and a flap disc will leave a better finish
20200525_143209[1].jpg
20200525_143209[1].jpg (111.9 KiB) Viewed 3332 times
Richard
Website
Thatkid2diesel

LtBadd wrote:Looks good especially if the wife is happy.

On the back side it looks like you may have used a hard disc to grind the weld, judging by the harsh grinding marks. There are flap disc specially for aluminum, the advantage is they don't clog, and a flap disc will leave a better finish
20200525_143209[1].jpg
Yes I did. I need to pick up a few of those non ferrous flap discs. It was a quick and dirty type of job. I had a time limit on it. (Wife is pregnant and wants Long John Silvers.) But yes I will plan on picking some up for the future. At least at this point that chair can be used for sitting and not just a foot rest. Thanks for the tip @LtBadd.

Hobart Ironman 210
Primeweld Tig225x
Primeweld 160st
VA-Sawyer
    Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:56 am

When a pregnant woman says she wants something, the NOW! is understood.
No sense dying with unused welding rod, so light 'em up!
Thatkid2diesel

VA-Sawyer wrote:When a pregnant woman says she wants something, the NOW! is understood.
Yes, @VA-Sawyer, this is my second so I've learned by now lol.

Hobart Ironman 210
Primeweld Tig225x
Primeweld 160st
BillE.Dee
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:53 pm

When the woman is pregnant the words NOW and YESTERDAY are synonymous and one more thing that I've heard, "Can't you read my mind?"
Congrats on the lil one,,,just a word from an old grampap.....be sure to enjoy them when they are little, they grow too darned fast. Teach them and be patient.
Thatkid2diesel

BillE.Dee wrote:When the woman is pregnant the words NOW and YESTERDAY are synonymous and one more thing that I've heard, "Can't you read my mind?"
Congrats on the lil one,,,just a word from an old grampap.....be sure to enjoy them when they are little, they grow too darned fast. Teach them and be patient.
Appreciate that @BillE.Dee. This is number 2. My 4 year old will be 5 in December. Seems like just yesterday we were coming home from the hospital. Time sure does fly. Hoping to teach both my boys some welding one day.

Hobart Ironman 210
Primeweld Tig225x
Primeweld 160st
Spartan

Pro bono job for the local PD. Riser standoffs for some sort of huge mezzanine cover plate. 3/4" thick by about 2.5" wide 6061 hockey pucks welded onto thick tread plate. Dirty material that's been sitting outside for a long time...the edge welds on the frame are not mine. Humid, windy and rainy all day...and nothing to prop on (which I need to fix). Fun fun. Only managed to get one done in between the showers. :lol:

7 more to go.
IMG_2040.jpg
IMG_2040.jpg (133.7 KiB) Viewed 3026 times
IMG_2039.jpg
IMG_2039.jpg (104.34 KiB) Viewed 3026 times
VA-Sawyer

Curious which cup setup you were using. Looks like you was getting good EP cleaning. What was it set to?
Spartan

VA-Sawyer wrote:Curious which cup setup you were using. Looks like you was getting good EP cleaning. What was it set to?
The wind was really screwing me up. Really more of a gusting breeze at 8-10 mph, but enough to be a real pain. After some problems with that and experimenting, ended up using a #8 GL with the argon bumped up to about 22-25 CFH, and just a little bit of helium cut in. Things went smoothly after getting that sorted. Cleaning sweet spot was at 37% EP after starting at 40% due to the dirty base metal. A lot of acetone scrubbing and wire brushing. 300 amps on the pedal, but probably only using 260-280 of that, I would guess.
VA-Sawyer

Thank you.
I understand about trying to Tig in the wind. I believe the 'i' in Tig stands for 'indoors'. Doing repair work means we sometimes have to do things the hard way.
TraditionalToolworks
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:49 am

VA-Sawyer wrote:Thank you.
I understand about trying to Tig in the wind. I believe the 'i' in Tig stands for 'indoors'. Doing repair work means we sometimes have to do things the hard way.
One could always setup a wind block with a cardboard box...
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
Spartan

TraditionalToolworks wrote:
VA-Sawyer wrote:Thank you.
One could always setup a wind block with a cardboard box...
Yeah, I tried some wind breaks, but the gusts were kind of whipping and swirling around so didn't do much good.

Have 6 of them done now...but more showers coming through have given me an excuse to take lunch before doing the last two.
Spartan

Done. That was a real PITA. A free PITA :lol:
IMG_2044.jpg
IMG_2044.jpg (148.68 KiB) Viewed 2993 times
IMG_2043.jpg
IMG_2043.jpg (88.18 KiB) Viewed 2993 times
IMG_2042.jpg
IMG_2042.jpg (86.17 KiB) Viewed 2993 times
BillE.Dee

Nice work, Spartan. Looks like ya had to get some serious engineering going on to anchor those assemblies down. I'd be in a jam due to being short on one end and couldn't reach across. I'd have to climb on board and lay flat... :lol:
Spartan

BillE.Dee wrote:Nice work, Spartan. Looks like ya had to get some serious engineering going on to anchor those assemblies down. I'd be in a jam due to being short on one end and couldn't reach across. I'd have to climb on board and lay flat... :lol:
Thanks, BillE.Dee. It was a challenge indeed climbing up into that wooden framing on the trailer to get to the welds and with such limited positioning. Luckily didn't need to get on top...was just able to do it all from the sides. The customer routed down the high-spot treads in the areas where the pucks sat, so that made it easier for positioning. Just held them down with a huge 15 lb. third hand tool to get a couple tacks in.
BillE.Dee

it appears to me that the pucks are centering pins for the railing posts. Is that thing gonna be a float in the state grand opening parade???
Spartan

Just a little after hours testing of the low end on the new 350EXT. Some with chill bars, some without. Some with pulse, some without. The .009" utility blades were a little built up on the weld side, but good penetration on the back side. May need to play around with those some more.

I'm happy.
IMG_2170.jpg
IMG_2170.jpg (123.92 KiB) Viewed 2714 times
IMG_2171.jpg
IMG_2171.jpg (50.69 KiB) Viewed 2714 times

Spartan wrote:Just a little after hours testing of the low end on the new 350EXT. Some with chill bars, some without. Some with pulse, some without. The .009" utility blades were a little built up on the weld side, but good penetration on the back side. May need to play around with those some more.
I'm happy.
Looks good, what size filler did you use?
Richard
Website
Spartan

LtBadd wrote: Looks good, what size filler did you use?
.035" 309L. Usually only have SS rod in that small a size.
BillE.Dee

lookin good, Spartan but one tip from the old guy here....those blades don't cut so well when in that direction... :lol:
VA-Sawyer

That is putting the 'safe' in 'safety razor'.
Spartan

BillE.Dee wrote:lookin good, Spartan but one tip from the old guy here....those blades don't cut so well when in that direction... :lol:
Awhile back, just for kicks, I actually welded one using 3 or 4 of those blades in a cluster all with the razor edges facing outwards. It looked like some sort of medieval torture device and made its way into the trash pretty quickly :lol: