Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
jrcll
    Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:47 am

when welding a t joint on thin aluminum , say anything under .125 , i`m struggling to not melt the the end away, i read that you need to start in a lil ways and weld back to the end ?, any tips or ideas ?....thanks
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hey,

Welcome to the forum. There are a few Big Aluminium brains on here, so somebody should be along to help you directly.

Mick
semihemi
    Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:45 pm

i find most of my burn thus at the end but i know why that is and im working on fixing it.....death grip+mashed peddle=burn thru.....
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in
a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming
- WOW- What a Ride
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

On thin stuff, that's my preference... To start in a little way. Then, when I come back to it, I do that bit downhand and taper the heat off a lot to close the last bit.

Steve S
foamballer
    Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:57 am

Which end is melting - start or finish? or both?
I agree with the other guy's suggestions. In addition, don't forget your filler rod! - you can use it to immediately fill the receding edges on startup and add that crucial little bit of metal that you need. When you get near the end and everything is about to go pear shaped (because you forgot to back off the pedal or didn't start your downslope early enough), you can leave the rod in the puddle to absorb some of the heat and make sure your weld doesn't keyhole too much.