Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
DLCeveryday
    Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:12 pm

[/attachment]
s-l300.jpg
s-l300.jpg (3.8 KiB) Viewed 681 times
I am going to bolt on a outboard bracket to convert my I/O boat to outboard. This is not my boat in the picture I just posted it to give an idea of what Im doing. The bracket i bought is like the one pictured. I need to weld in the I/O hole. I need a smooth surface to bolt and seal the bracket to the transom. I was planning on taking the advice of some members here and cutting a piece then butt welding it in then grinding smooth. Someone recently suggested I use a piece of aluminum bigger than the bracket and use a lap joint weld . no grinding . my only concern will be the crevice or space left between the transom and the plate. I could probably squeeze some sealant between them after welding . would a butt welded fitted piece be the way to go or the larger lap ? I could also weld the inside with a lap as well if I need to. I know this is a lot to read and figure out , but thank you to anyone who responds.
Attachments
1441689_9b52f42b3ce5c5fe4c8c9ddd8d973175.jpeg
1441689_9b52f42b3ce5c5fe4c8c9ddd8d973175.jpeg (55.61 KiB) Viewed 681 times
islanderpod2.jpg
islanderpod2.jpg (63.28 KiB) Viewed 681 times
DLCeveryday

here is a pic of the plate welded with a lap joint . the red is the lap joint welded on from outside of the Transom, the blue is the hole cut square and the outside plate welded from the inside of the transom with a lap joint . So red is the outside weld the blue the inside weld. then I would bolt the bracket on the plate.
Attachments
boat one.jpg
boat one.jpg (56.71 KiB) Viewed 655 times
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

I would round the corners of the plate and add enough to the bottom of the outside plate to go all the way down.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
DLCeveryday

Poland308 wrote:I would round the corners of the plate and add enough to the bottom of the outside plate to go all the way down.
good idea , rounded corners would look better as well.
aeroplain
    Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:15 pm

There is a gasket at the seem . Watch your heat!!
DLCeveryday

aeroplain wrote:There is a gasket at the seem . Watch your heat!!
oh boy ! glad you mentioned that ! whew ! good catch !