Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Starting amps is generally a parameter in the software. 2T and 4T both can take advantage of that background software settings if your machine has that. I frequently use a 3/32 tungsten with a number 5 cup without issue. But for the material thickness that you are working with, a 1/16 would be better.

2&4T are only relevant as to how the torch is switched on, and the amperage slope. Not the same as background “start amps”.

You can manually start the gas for a pre flow, move the torch into position, then arc up.
Last edited by cj737 on Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cj737

If you can set your machine to Pulse on AC, set that at 30% peak amperage, 10% background, and then your pulse rate to 1.5 pulses per second. Set your AC frequency to the highest setting your machine has, and ty setting the balance to 80%.

Edit for typos (damn Siri!)

About using pure tungsten on your machine... you have an inverter-based welder and most manufacturers recommend using lanthanated or ceriated for aluminum (blue or grey). I too have an inverter, and do still, use pure on occasion. No harm. But you will be better off with blue or grey on AC.
Last edited by cj737 on Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Datsun510
    Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:10 am

cj737 wrote:Starting amps is generally a parameter in the software. 2T and 4T both can take advantage of that background software settings if your machine has that. I frequently use a 3/32 tungsten with a number 5 cup without issue. But for the material thickness that you are working with, a 1/16 would be better.

2&4T are only relevant as to how the torch is switched on, and the amperage slope. Not the same as background “start amps”.

You can manually start the gas for a pre flow, move the torch into position, then arc up.
Dusted off the manual for my machine. Looks like the Start/ Stop amps only functions in 4T. I'm not clear on the difference of "background" start amps, but my box is a simple one.

I went to my LWS and the young guy there told me I wanted to be using Pure Tungsten to weld aluminum, so I bought a 3-pack of 1/16 and 3/32 to see if I could see any differences (always good to experiment).

As it turns out the instructions for my welder say DO NOT USE PURE TUNGSTEN. Not sure why. I tend to listen to advice given by manufactures in all capital letters, so, PM me with an address if you have any need for Pure Tungsten and I'll send them your way!
Datsun510

cj737 wrote:If you can set your machine to Kohls on ABC, that 30% peak amperage, 10% background, and that your pulse rate to 1.5 pulses per second. Set your AC frequency to the highest setting your machine has, and Try setting the balance to 80%
haha, sorry, but this went right over my head. Not sure what Kohls and ABC are. The pic of the the panel of my machine is above. I've experimented with AC frequency and balance a bit. the setting I gave above are what seem to be working the best so far, but I'll crank them up and report back.

Thanks!
cj737

Datsun510 wrote:
cj737 wrote:If you can set your machine to Kohls on ABC, that 30% peak amperage, 10% background, and that your pulse rate to 1.5 pulses per second. Set your AC frequency to the highest setting your machine has, and Try setting the balance to 80%
haha, sorry, but this went right over my head. Not sure what Kohls and ABC are. The pic of the the panel of my machine is above. I've experimented with AC frequency and balance a bit. the setting I gave above are what seem to be working the best so far, but I'll crank them up and report back.

Thanks!
Edited above.
Datsun510

cj737 wrote: Edited above.
haha well that makes much more sense.

I'll give it a go, my controls use Pulse Freq (Hz), Pulse Base Amps %, and Pulse Time On %. So I'll figure out how they match up.
TIGn8r
    Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:18 pm

Nice. I am still attending the “self taught” tig classes. (on hold due to moving into a new house w/o a garage) I bought a 2017 Alpha tig 200x and learned a ton of stuff! Mostly by failing...but learning eventually. Nothing will teach you more than torch time. Great advise from the more experienced ppl on here.

I ended up just getting a bunch of coupons sheared up from my buddy. 1/8” or slightly under. 3x6. Works great for practice. I used like 10 of them for just running beads across the face, getting the feel of the torch angle, arc length and pedal control. Then I would take them and make a “T”...try 2 inside corners and then outside corners. Tig finger is a must...annnnd pre ball a few tungsten before you start.

4T set up works great with a thumb switch...tried it a little bit but swapped back to the pedal just for the control aspect of it. Rev up or down as needed.

Coming from a carpentry background of 8 years i had to stop every once and a while and slow down. Prep/fit up is huge.

My normal settings were:

1/8” 2% lanthaded slight balled tip
#6 cup
15-20 cfh
140amps W/foot pedal
120 A/C Freq
35ish A/C Balance
5sec Post flow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk