Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Datsun510
    Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:10 am

Well, I did a dumb thing.
IMG_2945.jpg
IMG_2945.jpg (161.19 KiB) Viewed 860 times
Any ideal how to replace the screen on this stubby gas lens (from kit) I bought from the Weldmonger store? Or Am I buying a whole new deal?

I don't see a place in the store where I can buy a screen or just an entire stubby gas lens.

Thanks!
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Bin it.
https://weldmongerstore.com/collections ... odies-1-16

Choose the size and quantity you need.

Keep it for those times you have to weld carbon steel or a quick tack weld on galvanized, or any weld that you know isn't going to be good on the gas lens.
Richard
Website
Datsun510
    Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:10 am

Ah, good idea, will do.

Ordered the new parts, now I've got to figure out what settings I had munged up so I don't repeat, but that's for a different post.

Thanks for the help!
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

You can cut out new diffuser screens from stainless filter material but it's hardly worth it on a small gas lens - mostly you treat them as a consumable - they can be bought quite cheaply on Ebay - it is annoying though when it's not done many hours - if you weld on contaminated material such as old castings etc I would take the gas lens off & use a standard collet body as " crud " just loves to jump out of the puddle & loves to stick on gas lens screens.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

noddybrian wrote: - mostly you treat them as a consumable - they can be bought quite cheaply on Ebay -
I agree, they are consumables. But the “cheap eBay” units are crap and actually are less productive and effective than spending an appropriate amount for a quality lens. CK at a minimum, but I prefer Miller brand lenses. The diffuser area a is larger surface area even though the collet is the same size.