Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
Glowzinski
    Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:08 pm

So, I am getting a Miller Bobcat 250 with the EFI thing in July. I have been saving for the thing since last year. SUPER excited. Teaching myself to weld. So, I got metal to make a cart for the welder a bit ago and, yesterday I believe, I got metal to make a welding table. I thought, why not upload pictures of it, in progress on here?

The metal I got the for table, so I believe, it to thick for my current welder. I have a Pitbull Ultra-Portable 100-Amp Electric Arc Welder - 110V. I got it from Amazon. My dad was a great welder. He died in 03. I wanted to try it first, because it seems interesting. I do the art for a cartoon I have a copyright on, as well as the writing. I like to make music and puppets and all kids of stuff. So, I decided to give metal a try.

First, moron here thought you hit the rob on the metal, then pull it away and the arc would follow. LOL After watching some of Arc Welding I on DVD, as well as, really two guys on Youtube, ChuckE something and some guy named like, Kevin C, I figured it out. Now, I am aware that with the Miller, that is a completely different beast. My dad used to have one on the back of his truck. He died in 03. His parents took his body to the place he was born. They did not even tell my brother or I he had died. I would love to have his welder. But, I think he owed money in taxes. So, that is gone now. BUT, soon I will have my own.

I will start with pictures of the metal. Also, I got some poster board (I like using that to make models of stuff I will weld) and made a design for a welding table.

So, I know the cart has to be a specific size. The only thing I may wait to do, is make the holes for the bolts that go on the bottom of the welder. No sure why.

But, the welding table, I made that and it worked out well. I randomly made it three feet long. It is a little more than two feet wide. I got some rectangular tubing that was 3 inches. It just so happened to fit five just right.

Now, I will make the cart like this. I will use 2 inch square tube to make the base. The top, I am getting steel angle. I got some, but it was only 1 inch. I am getting two inch. That will sit on top of the top square tube. Then, within that, I will put the pieces of rectangle tube. Then, the ends will be nice and closed up. I will sit the square tube, for the top, right on top of the bars. Then, the bottom part, I will cut the angle so they fit right onto the poles. I will use the square tube and make four areas. Four squares. Then, I will bet some galvanized fence and weld it to the bottom. I may get a few pieces and weld them together. Three pieces would be stronger than just one. I am aware that it will be hard to weld that together. But, I look at everything in steps.

A few days ago, I tried welding by going left and right. It was the best looking I had done. I had not cleaned off the metal. Also, the welder may have been turned to high. I had it as high as it could go. My dad, used to make ripples when he welded. Down, up, down, up. As soon as it stops raining, I will try that out. My welder is over my grandparents house now. But, this monty, my mom and step dad are getting me a shed. haha I will be out there all day long. I am 31 and single you see. LOL

As I said, I am new. Any advice you have, throw it my way. I know my welds suck. haha Give me your advice. You see it, you think it, you tell me.

The pics are my ideas for the welding table, the metal, my design of the welding cart and my ass ugly weld that I tried the left and right thing on. I've been learning since June or July.

Oh, I know the cross beams have specific places they must go. Also, I will not have a middle part. This was a random thing.

As bad as the weld looks, I was outside, with grey skies and the cart my grandfather has, is not a cart but a push thing with a piece of wood on it. haha Honestly, I could not see a thing. I just tried to keep a straight line going. haha Thrash away.
Attachments
thumb_IMG_7689_10234.jpg
thumb_IMG_7689_10234.jpg (113.75 KiB) Viewed 726 times
thumb_IMG_7686_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_7686_1024.jpg (62.84 KiB) Viewed 726 times
thumb_IMG_7586_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_7586_1024.jpg (102.03 KiB) Viewed 726 times
thumb_IMG_7745_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_7745_1024.jpg (43.17 KiB) Viewed 726 times
thumb_IMG_7717_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_7717_1024.jpg (26.89 KiB) Viewed 726 times
thumb_IMG_7367_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_7367_1024.jpg (54.4 KiB) Viewed 726 times
weldit321@gmail.com
    Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:52 pm

Post finished pictures. I am interested in making a welding cart for my 2 machines and a couple bottles. If yours looks good I just make it as well.
    Sun May 01, 2016 7:46 am

No thrashing here at all, this is how we all started. You get tired of practicing on scrap pieces so you make something you can use. If you are having trouble seeing the crack couple things....gap it just a little or run a chamfer all the way around it. If you are planning on grinding your welds for cosmetic reasons, gap and chamfer a little for penetration.

This project is also about more than welding, it is about craftsmanship. Square, level, plumb, straight, etc. all the way to the last detail in finish i.e. shaker can, powder coat whatever.

DETAILS is 10% of the job that when not done effectively affects 100% of the perception.
AWS D1.1 / ASME IX / CWB / API / EWI / RWMA / BSEE
Scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality." Nikola Tesla
Glowzinski
    Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:08 pm

Yes, haha I did not sure the tube on an angle. It is not going to connect at the ends. I wanted to. But, hmm maybe I did not have extra medal.

I tried to weld the metal for the cart, a few days ago. But, I live in Maryland. It has rained everyday here. My 6011 rods, were just sitting in the box I purchased them in, inside my grandfathers shed. So, I am not sure how good they will be. I tried welding the medal. Nothing happened that was any good. A few sparks here and there. I will have to get more and put them in the orange tube thing I have.

I am all about detail and making things look good. Drives me crazy when something is off.

Today, I cut some of that white stuff out, to make an English wheel. I have a picture of the cutout. I will post it. I do not have the bottom piece cut yet. That will be the third thing I make.

I may have said this, but, there is a place around here called Earlbeck. They have a four hour, $150 class that teaches you the basics of mig, tig and stick. I am going to take that. I think it will be very helpful. haha

I got this size thing online.
Attachments
IMG_7881.jpg
IMG_7881.jpg (27.6 KiB) Viewed 595 times
IMG_7884.jpg
IMG_7884.jpg (45.71 KiB) Viewed 595 times