Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
StevaMan
    Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:44 am

7016 are electrodes with both types of polarity...why they are so neglected when it comes to root passes ???

it would be a nice thing if somebody take a video of that procedure...

thanks in advance...
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

7016's are very good rods especially for low temp applications. Here in Oz our standard for certification of welders recognises only 7016 rods for mmaw tests. Why? Because it's the hardest rod to use in root passes and they figure if you can pass on 7016 you're good to go on any rod.
That's also why you don't see it used often in the field for root passes.
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Welcome to the forum.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
StevaMan
    Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:44 am

thank you for your answer in such a short notice :)

i am an IWE, and i don't want to use cellulosic electrodes in my technologies anymore...especially when it comes to high risk pipeline systems with gases and other dangerous and flamebale fluids...in Serbia, these electrodes are very common and all the welders are certified with it, but just a few know how to use any other type of welding procedure...

which electrodes are used when it comes to 7016 tests ??? esab ok53.68 or ok53.70 or something else ???

edit: thank you Mike for your hospitality :P
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

Individual projects will supply whatever they get the best deal on, can be anything. Many skillstech colleges here and many fabrication shops will supply WIA Austarc 16TC. There are other good rods but as I don't stick weld very often these days I will leave it to others to add to this thread. Personally I have no experience with esab rods.
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
Antorcha
    Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:57 am

Coldman wrote:Individual projects will supply whatever they get the best deal on, can be anything. Many skillstech colleges here and many fabrication shops will supply WIA Austarc 16TC. There are other good rods but as I don't stick weld very often these days I will leave it to others to add to this thread. Personally I have no experience with esab rods.
You get some Esab 7018 SR and you'll never buy that murkin garbage again.
gnabgib
    Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:55 am

My favourite is the Kobe 52U's, 7016's I really find that they are so easy for me to use. Whereas...Why do I have so much trouble with 6013's? Hopeless!
gnabgib
    Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:55 am

StevaMan wrote:7016 are electrodes with both types of polarity...why they are so neglected when it comes to root passes ???

it would be a nice thing if somebody take a video of that procedure...

thanks in advance...
I did the full penetration cert, overhead and horizontal, using Kobe 52U's 7016's 2.5mm for the root at about 70-80amps. DC- on the overhead. Kobe 52U's 3.2mm DC+ for all other passes.