Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
BFTrout
    Thu May 15, 2014 10:13 am

Hello fellow welders,
been lurking on here for a while, and finally have something of substance to post and hopefully get some feed back. as the subject line states, i'm in the market for a new welder.
currently I have a miller 180 auto set and the old Lincoln "tombstone" ac 225 in my shop. with these, i'm set up to weld most stuff out there, but there is an increasing need to weld thinner material. so I am looking into a tig welder that's geared toward a "hobbyist" like myself. I would really like to get a combo ac/dc stick and tig welder for the dc stick option especially. these welders usually have the "scratch and start tig" optional attachment I believe.
budget is always a consideration, but I am trying to keep this manageable around 5 bills.
if you experts out there have any suggestions, please respond.
thanks in advance fellas.
BFTrout
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

I'm a fan of big old monster welders - they are cheap and they flat out work.

$500 is too low to buy AC/DC tig welders unless you buy the big old beasties. :)
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
soutthpaw
    Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:14 pm

If you are looking for AC/DC TIG it will have high frequency start (continuous). Has to for AC TIG
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

i had an old miller goldstar, big and bulky but it welded steel and aluminum
just fine. they can be had for $500 to $800.
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
soutthpaw

MinnesotaDave wrote:I'm a fan of big old monster welders - they are cheap and they flat out work.

$500 is too low to buy AC/DC tig welders unless you buy the big old beasties. :)
I've owned 3 of the Miller/Airco 330abp's. Great machines. Had to sell my last one when I sold my house and moved out of state. If I ever have a place to keep one again. I would definitely pick one up
BFTrout

Thanks for the replies fellas, and that in turn has sparked more questions.
I've been poking around the internet to find a machine that might suit my needs and have found specific information hard to come by. So I again propose the same question with a few refinements: is there a machine out there that will sick weld on ac and dc and also have the tig capability to weld stainless, mild steel and aluminum?
one machine in the price range that is close is the Hobart stickmate lx235ac/160dc, but only claims that it can tig weld stainless and mild steel with no mention of aluminum.
after my initial price range of 500$, it looks like I may have to double or triple that amount to potentially get exactly what I am looking for.
the other machine that caught my attention is the everlast 160 or 200, but believe this is only dc and will not tig aluminum.
my question seems better suited to an "equipment question" forum, but it appears none exists here.
thanks again for the comments and suggestions, please keep them coming.
BFT.
soutthpaw

The stickmate does not have High Frequency. That's why you can't do aluminum. Plus trying to weld aluminum with a machine that does not have a pedal is a joke. If you want to PM me, I have a machine with warranty that might interest you. Will do everything you want @ your initial price range....
Everlast has several models with 200 in the name. Some are AC, some are not. The 185 power tig is also a good choice. But it's not that great of a stick welder. It, like many other inverters will not run E6010. Unless a machine specifically states it will run that, assume it won't. Though it's not a big deal unless you are doing code work that requires E6010.
BFTrout

After doing a little more internet searching this weekend, I came across another "potential" machine that would suit my needs.
My question is regarding the AHP AlphaTig ac/dc 200x. It appears that it has several of the high end features that expensive units have coming in around 8 bills. If I understand the specks correctly, this unit will do ac/dc stick and will allow the user to tig mild and stainless steel as well as aluminum. The unit comes with all the bells and whistles including a foot pedal.
Has anyone out there logged any time on this machine? If so, could you please comment on your likes and dislikes.
If there are other machines out there with the same features around the same price point, please pass those suggestions on as well.
Thanks again,
BFTrout.
plain ol Bill
    Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:46 pm

For your price range I agree w/ Craig. IF you can find a Miller Goldstar they are big but great machines,
Tired old welder
CNC plasma cutter
Colorful shop w/
Red, blue, yellow, purple, and Hypertherm silver equip.
    Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:38 pm

Sometimes you can pick up Miller Syncrowaves for fairly short money, maybe in the $1000 range for something big enough to do most practical stuff. I have a 180sd that I picked up for $900 with an 80 cf argon tank, cart, torch, regulator, stick lead and foot control. It was a low hour machine that looked brand new. I've tigged 1/2 steel and 3/8 aluminum with it. The aluminum was a bit slow going but it did get the job done.
I have other tig machines, bigger ones, but find myself using the 180 most of the time.

Search for the deals and don't be in a rush. Spring cleaning is coming and someone will be selling one.
ronin8002
    Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:13 pm

I got a new everlast powertig 185 off eBay for 750 shipped. Haven't used it for aluminum yet but it definitely has the capability. Welds decently on stick mode but as mentioned it won't run 6010 for crap. 6011 is fine though.
soutthpaw

BFTrout wrote:After doing a little more internet searching this weekend, I came across another "potential" machine that would suit my needs.
My question is regarding the AHP AlphaTig ac/dc 200x. It appears that it has several of the high end features that expensive units have coming in around 8 bills. If I understand the specks correctly, this unit will do ac/dc stick and will allow the user to tig mild and stainless steel as well as aluminum. The unit comes with all the bells and whistles including a foot pedal.
Has anyone out there logged any time on this machine? If so, could you please comment on your likes and dislikes.
If there are other machines out there with the same features around the same price point, please pass those suggestions on as well.
Thanks again,
BFTrout.
See my review i recently posted.
http://forum.weldingtipsandtricks.com/v ... php?t=7325
I also own the Everlast 185 it's also a good machine.
angus
  • angus

MR one post BFTrout. is it possible you are related? are you not happy with your 28 pages of drivel that you resurrect from the digital hereafter every time it fades from view.

why not just post a link to that epic thread?
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Somebody hasn't had their coffee today...
;)

Steve S
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Or 32 cups