Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
fitter33
    Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:52 pm

Last night was my 4th 3 hour welding class, and first time welding plate together. This is 1/4" steel with a 70 ish degree included angle bevel and 1/8" land using a Lincoln Invertec 300. Root pass is done with 1/8" 6010 at 75 amps whip and pause/keyhole, and fill and cap were done with 3/32" 7018 on 80-84 amps using a z type weave. For some reason it's taking me 2 passes to fill, and another to cap. The instructor wants me doing only one fill pass. Other than slowing down and tightening up my weave, can you guys spot any obvious mistakes or issues?
    Tue May 28, 2013 11:10 am
    Figuring the picking points of jelly donuts

I'd say you're running too cold. Or maybe turn the arc force to +2.0.

This is by no means perfect, just acceptable. :oops:
fitter33

Shield Arc wrote:This is by no means perfect, just acceptable. :oops:
That's an amazing weld as far as I'm concerned. Can I ask how long it took you to get this proficient? I only get 2.5 hours of practice per week, and feel like it's nowhere near enough. What's the reason for the backing plate?

I've been welding for almost 2-weeks now. ;)

In structural welding most of the time when testing the backing bar is required.
fitter33

Shield Arc wrote:I've been welding for almost 2-weeks now. ;)

In structural welding most of the time when testing the backing bar is required.
Well you certainly have a talent for it! I'd love to be capable of running a bead that nice...
gtmcgeejr
    Tue May 13, 2014 10:04 am

You need to buy yourself a welder new or used and practice at home more. Or find a friend with one you can go use regularly.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

fitter33,

Shield Arc is pulling your leg, just a bit...
Shield Arc wrote:I've been welding for almost 2-weeks now. ;)
Your weld is a good start. I see nothing technically wrong, and hood time will improve it.

Steve S

Your not buying the 2-weeks? OK, how about 3-weeks? :)
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Shield Arc wrote:Your not buying the 2-weeks? OK, how about 3-weeks? :)
I will buy 3 weeks if you buy 4 weeks for me ;) :lol: :lol: :lol:

fitter33,
I would turn the amps up just a tad and hold the sides a little longer. Overall I don't feel that is a bad weld, it just needs smoothed out and a little more consistency. Watch those arc strikes as well. Keep it up and keep us posted.
-Jonathan
dsmabe
    Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:50 pm

If its allowed, I would weave the fill in that particular piece, only because you would probably have to run 2 passes if you done stingers. That should leave you with a flatter cover pass. From the picture, it looks VERY convex, well over 1/8" tall. If its not then I guess it's just the picture playing tricks. Other than that, all you need is hood time! If you get a chance to play around, try different things, make mistakes, but learn from them!