Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
    Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:35 am

Hello,

I'm an apprentice pipefitter -- still quite green. This is my first foray into arc welding, and I'm starting to get pretty decent (all things considered). I know 6010 is generally used for root passes, with 7018 used for the cap and fill. To get more arc time, I've decided to undertake a few smallish fabrication projects. One of those projects is a firewood rack. I'm planning on building it out of 2x2 square stock, with decorative gussets.

So here's my question: I'd like nice, clean welds, and since this is going to be new metal, so provided I clean everything well, I should be able to use 7018 and get plenty of penetration, provided the amperage is dialed in, correct? OR am I relegated to using 6010 because it digs better and gets fantastic penetration?
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

7018 will be fine. This is not pipe work to meet a pressure rating.

Don't overthink the work... ;)

Steve S
    Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:30 pm

Otto Nobedder wrote:7018 will be fine. This is not pipe work to meet a pressure rating.

Don't overthink the work... ;)

Steve S

Yep. 7018 is going to give a nice appearance and if done right, will last longer than youll be using that firewood rack.
"The Plumber Protects The Health Of The Nation"
    Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:34 am

Getting a test piece of the tubing, and see which you can run better, and which looks better.
Either will work, imo.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk
    Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:06 pm

I worked on a carry all frame a while back. I welded a bracket to the top to hook a clevis to or a chain hook and I welded some braces to it to strengthen it up. I had some 6010 and 7018 rods laying around so just for fun and practice I ran 6010 on the stress points and some 7018 to cap them and for non stress points. I recommend using both for different parts.
It's always best to build your own, especially when it comes to hitches!!!
Matt
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

If there's a gap, or rust, 6010, if there's a good fit, clean metal, 7018.... :arrow:
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024

Best rod for any metal gap, tight, rust, or clean you can weld it with a 6013 :lol: That rhymed. :D
Matt
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

mcoe wrote:Best rod for any metal gap, tight, rust, or clean you can weld it with a 6013 :lol: That rhymed. :D

You don't give up.....get a life. ;) :D
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024

I have a life, that is welding/teaching welding and annoying others. When I can do both at the same time then it is a happy life. :lol: I will call a cease fire on the 6013 jokes :D
Matt
Adam's Got Skills
    Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:32 pm

Id just use the 6010 to tack or stitch it together and weld it with good ol 7018. 7018 does better over time in the elements. But for a rack to just hold firewood u could use just about anything a good weld is a good weld for something like that