Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
Joejoe8455
    Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:50 am

Not sure to put this here or metal cutting, but tomorrow I start carbon arcing, any tips or suggestions?
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Joe,
Safety first. Wear proper PPE. Earplugs are a must and be prepared to get grit in places you didn't know existed. Once you get everything set right it will work like a champ. Also just putting this out there in case someone doesn't know, it is just like welding in the fact that you will need a shade 10 or darker. Believe it or not I have seen some try to use a 5 and regret that very quickly.
-Jonathan
Joejoe8455

I usually go with shade 11, and yea heat index is 109 tomorrow and I'll be wearing 3 layers including flame resistant coveralls.... Gonna be nice and toasty
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Joejoe8455 wrote:I usually go with shade 11, and yea heat index is 109 tomorrow and I'll be wearing 3 layers including flame resistant coveralls.... Gonna be nice and toasty
Better you than me :lol: just kidding!
In all seriousness, be careful and stay hydrated.
-Jonathan
rake
    Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:19 pm

A leather skullcap is always a good friend when carbon arcing. Got a couple small bald spots on the back of my noggin
to prove it! Carbon arc slag really, really burns! Back in my shipyard days I was really quite good at it. Or so our
burner/grinders use to tell me! I always found that it worked better if you ran it on the hot side. We always ran 1/2"
carbons with the power supply maxed out. 900 to 1K amps. You could clean out the root and shape the bevel in one
pass. But we were working with awfully thick stuff.
Wes917
    Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:45 pm

I always used a 12 when I did it. Don't forget the earplugs, I know it was mentioned already but it's way louder than you'd think. Be prepared to be annoyed at first, but once you get it, it's pretty fun. I would always wear a respirator also.
coldman
  • coldman

The best advice I can give in addition to the above is try not to gouge too much off in one run. Multiple thinner runs gives you more control and a more flatter, even finish. Lots of fun though.
Dblcorona
    Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:30 pm

All good advice. The only thing I can really add is to look around you and see if there is going to be anywhere that can deflect sparks back at you. Nothing fun with that. And air arcing is the process I got burned the most on than any other process. Good Luck.
Joejoe8455

Yes I'm def. wearing my respirator while doing this stuff, but my first day of doing it I actually had a blast (pun not intended) and quickly found out that multiple passes do make for a better result.