Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
ctwistedpair
    Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:37 am

Hi all, I'm a newbie at welding. I was recently given a 100 amp dc welder as a gift. I need to weld part of the power seat adjustment train on my jeep. It seems to be made of 1/8 in mild steel. :?: I'm wondering what settings to use and what type of electrode. I was thinking of cutting a large diameter washer in half and welding that on to over lap the main weld as the part is circular and fits around a steel shaft. Any thoughts on this? I thank you very much in advance for any help or ideas that you can give.
Billbong
    Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:28 am

Hi, a photo or a sketch would help to indicate what it is you intend to do.....even a sketch in MS paint would tell a story better than a million words.....don't you have a camera on your cell phone?
Ian.
ctwistedpair

Here is a pic. Its not easy to photograph as the seat is still in the jeep. Yes, I will remove the seat to weld it and please ignore the little bits of orphaned potato chips etc..
Thanks
Attachments
fractured steel.jpg
fractured steel.jpg (179.95 KiB) Viewed 1102 times
GWD
    Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:50 pm

If I see it correctly and understand the application, this break is not in a operational safety location.

It appears that you can use a grinder to bevel both edges of the break to make a "V" for the weld deposit. Make the point of the "V" extend just barely through to the opposite side. That way, when you weld it, the repair will be 100% welded.

With a 100A DC welder it would be best to use 3/32" 7018 welding rod run at at least 90A. Practice first on something similar to find out if that is the correct setting. It will likely require several passes to fill the V. A grinder will smooth the surface after welding if that is necessary for correct operation.

Be aware that there may be some heat warping that may require the piece to be reheated and straightened.
ctwistedpair

Thank you so very much for your help. I never would have thought to grind it to a V. I will post pics. (If I don't electrocute myself) :oops:
ctwistedpair

Darn thing keeps blowing the circuit breaker. Have to get a heavy duty
Ext cord and dind a 20 am outlet.
:evil:
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Get the heavy-duty cord (12-2 w/ ground or heavier... 12/2 is good for a 30' cord, 10/2 if you have to go 50' or more), and try using a dedicated circuit before springing for a new outlet. Your kitchen microwave may be on one, or, usually, the washing machine. (Dedicated circuit meaning there's only one outlet on that breaker, and may be wired heavier.)

A look at your breakers is telling. Look for a single-pole rated 20A, and that circuit should be wired with at least 12 ga.

Steve S.