Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
Diesel
    Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:03 pm

Can't seem to get it above flush. I'm running 85 amps with 1/8 6010 on 3/8 plate 37° bevel with 3/32 land and gap. I've tried whipping, dragging, tapping and it just doesn't build on the backside. Holding the rod longer just gives me more build on the bottom and i cant push the rod in any farther im basically shoving it all the way through. So what's the holy grail? I know its possible and easier than I'm making it just not sure.
Country isn't country unless it's classic.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Open up your gap a little more up to 1/8 in.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Diesel
    Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:03 pm

Tried some of that. Welded up the same way.. Just above flush to flush
Country isn't country unless it's classic.
Poland308

Flush is all that most WPS sheets call for.

Josh
wheresmejumper
    Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:14 pm

Unless the gap is a tad big,i normally dont whip at 6 o clock or overhead.just push push push the rod up.then push some more.
if youre struggling still,get a partner,or pardner,to hood up and check the buildup as you weld.
Dancing with the blue lady
Nome27
    Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:45 pm

Have you tried a slight drag angle? this sometimes helps for the filler metal to build up, also i dont usualy wip in over head roots becasuse i find it doesnt build up well, which is why pipe welders wip at the top of the pipe so it doesnt build up inside, you want your rod to run just hot enough so you can stick your rod up in it the keyhole and just nudge the rod forward down the joint, not a whip but a nudge, to wide of a gap will cause suckback or undercut on the inside of the root and to tight lack of penitration, but if i had to pick i would take a tighter gap in over head and just run it a little hotter.
Poland308

Good explanation I didn't know how to word it.

Josh
Ronin09
    Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:13 am

One tip that helped me with over head was to push the rod up further. When the tip of my rod is deep enough I see the top come to a point like an upside down V (^). Then I just keep that depth while "whipping" slightly at the front edge of the puddle without moving out of the front of the puddle. For me I never let the puddle cool just keep barely whipping about a 1/4 to a 1/2 and rod diameter in and out of the molten puddle just enough to burn the edges in front while keeping the puddle hot. Not sure if that helps anyone else since I am still new to welding but it works for me.