Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
    Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:31 pm

Hello every one, I have a question about 7014 I can run a good looking vertical down beads that the ripples are tight to each other and it just looks good, but when I try and run flat the bead the ripples are kinda undefined and the just don't look like vertical beads :?: , any help would be appreciated. Maybe if you guys could tell me what kinda rod angle to run. Thanks in advance.
    Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:00 am

7014 really has too much slag to run downhill without trapping slag. Most people run it uphill. When 7014 is run correctly it should have very fine ripples or almost no ripples. In the flat position it is very forgiving of rod angle. if you run it hot enough you shouldn't need more than 15-20 degrees of drag angle. Don't long arc it. drag the flux on the plate lightly.
Multimatic 255
plain ol Bill
    Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:46 pm

7014 is designed to be a light gage material rod. Further it is a DOWN hill vertical. Crank it up and if the slag starts to build up too much long arc it momentarily and let it clear. This rod can make some beautiful welds
Tired old welder
CNC plasma cutter
Colorful shop w/
Red, blue, yellow, purple, and Hypertherm silver equip.
    Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:31 pm

Ok thanks guys, I was just wondering why my vertical down beads looked so much better than flat.