Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
TB Weld
    Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:47 pm

Hey, what's going on guys! I'm Trevor. I like to weld things.

I've seen many topics on 7018 up, but not many of them seemed to be the same situation as mine. So u work for a pre-cast and steel erector in Maryland. I went to school and got certified, got a job and now weld to get paid. In school, verticals can easy to me, but that was with a machine right next to me and using 3/32 rods. My company only give us 5/32. 6010 5P, 7018, 7024 only 1/8 rods we use are 308 and 309 rods.

When I weld a vertical it's typically vertical lap joint with a piece of steel embedded in concrete and 3/8" or 1/2" plate. A big problem I run into is that I either weld real hot and I have to stop to let it cool before I melt through the plate, or way too cold and stick the rod a lot and the weld is really really blobby and convexed. Only thing I do to get by is whip it a lot, which works, but it's hit or miss on appearance and just barely squeak by the inspector. The older guys weave it, but I can barely get a 1/4" stringer to look right. If I try to do a weave, the weld is either way to big or I get a crap ton of under cut.

Our machine vary, but they're diesel powered machines. All seen to be older or pretty beat up. I don't know what the exact amperage is, but I'd guess it's somewhere between 150 and 225. I know that's pretty vague, I'll check my machine tomorrow and see if I get a better number. Any tips, comments, insults on what I'm doing?
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Can you post some pics? And witch one of the listed rods are you running?
I have more questions than answers

Josh
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

A 5/32 7018 rod should weld uphill just fine at around 155A, and up to 180A if you're a hand with them.

Your challenge comes from learning on 3/32 rod. The bigger rod is a bigger handful of what can go wrong. Be patient with yourself; All the basics are the same, but you're putting down more metal faster, and have to "see it faster" as you go.

Steve S
TB Weld

Poland308 wrote:Can you post some pics? And witch one of the listed rods are you running?
As long as you won't laugh at me too much! Some problems are obvious. I.e. Me rushing to weld and not getting a good fit up, using someone else machine that's set ridiculously hot

Only thing is that I can't adjust my machine going from flats, to verticals, to overhead. It's just not practical to go down 3 stories 8 times for 4 different welds, so I try to find a happy medium for all
TB Weld

Sorry Poland, I'm running 5/32 7018
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

TB Weld wrote:
Poland308 wrote:Can you post some pics? And witch one of the listed rods are you running?
As long as you won't laugh at me too much! Some problems are obvious. I.e. Me rushing to weld and not getting a good fit up, using someone else machine that's set ridiculously hot

Only thing is that I can't adjust my machine going from flats, to verticals, to overhead. It's just not practical to go down 3 stories 8 times for 4 different welds, so I try to find a happy medium for all
Welding pipe is like that... You need one setting that does everything, because you're in all positions.

I've mastered that for 1/8" rod. I've not had enough experience to say that for 5/32, but I know the "sweet spot" exists.

Steve S
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Yeah there is almost never time to reset the welder. Especially if it's not getting x-rayed. I've never run anything bigger than 1/8. At least not more than a rod or two.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
plain ol Bill
    Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:46 pm

If you are welding embeds on precast/prestress concrete panels you REALLY NEED TO UNDERSTAND - that peoples life's are in your hands. If you have to go to the ground to reset your amperage or whatever then DO IT. I have seen and investigated two different cases where embed failures were involved and both instances had fatalities involved. If you do not feel your welding can and should stand up to close inspection by qualified quality assurance people I would really, really urge you to look for a different job.
Think about this - you could be held personally liable if there is a failure and bad injuries or fatalities are involved.
Tired old welder
CNC plasma cutter
Colorful shop w/
Red, blue, yellow, purple, and Hypertherm silver equip.
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Try and stay close to 150amps.

Get a ampmeter and get it set close to there.

3/8" -1/2" plate is tough. Fast uphill travel with a side to side wiggle.

You can move faster then you think, since your acustomed to small rods.
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024