Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
af88
    Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:07 pm

Hi everyone, I'm a beginner so please spare with me.

I'm looking into purchasing either the Hot Max Arc 100 or Stanley 119 welder due to the reviews and price point.

Between the two which do you guys recommend. They appear to have similar specs, but I'm curious what you guys think. I already have a my own helmet so that is not an issue. With regards to sticks what do you guys recommend for a beginner?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00440 ... al_qh_dp_t

http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-Power-119 ... op?ie=UTF8

Thanks
    Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:00 am

neither. 80-100 amps is not enough for real stick welding. Spend your money on a used welder off of craig's list, something that runs on 240 volts and has at least 200 amps. There are plenty of used welders out the for $100-$300. You don't necessarily need DC. Although I prefer DC, AC will work fine. There are lots of Lincoln AC 225's for sale for ~$100 out there.
Multimatic 255
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Louie1961 wrote:neither. 80-100 amps is not enough for real stick welding. Spend your money on a used welder off of craig's list, something that runs on 240 volts and has at least 200 amps. There are plenty of used welders out the for $100-$300. You don't necessarily need DC. Although I prefer DC, AC will work fine. There are lots of Lincoln AC 225's for sale for ~$100 out there.

Agreed.
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
Artie F. Emm
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 am

don't let the 240 volt requirement run you off. if you have an electric dryer that's situated right (near a window that looks onto an appropriate welding site), you can make an extension cord to power the machine.
Dave
aka "RTFM"
af88

Thanks everyone, I'm not concerned with 240, i can run one in my garage just for welding. Ideally i would like a dual in case I'm at a friends house helping them repair something. With that said, i would also like to do welding on thin 20gauge sheet metal up to 1/4 possibly so based on what I have read stick is not good for the thin stuff and MIG is the way to go. While i realize with MIG you use a bottle but initially I would be using flux-core only until i get my skills comfortable enough to use the bottle for cleaner welds. It had to be portable which is key and dual voltage i think is a must, I've looked at the everlast welders which are 3 in 1 that look good but the issue is portability again.
Artie F. Emm

I have an Everlast iMIG 200 that I've been happy with: dual voltage MIG and stick. I corresponded with a guy that got a TIG torch and jacked it into his iMIG 200. It's not an ideal TIG situation: DC only, none of the bells and whistles, limited to 30 amps minimum (because of the low end of the iMIG) but it might get you started. That would give you the portability while you get started, and if the TIG bug bites you (it will) you can get a separate TIG machine in AC and DC. This might be an improvement over the 3-in-1 machines, which i believe are DC TIG only.
Dave
aka "RTFM"
ttreb4
    Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:00 am

I have a thermal arc fabricator 181i. I have had it for about 2 years. It is set up for MIG. I also have a Lincoln Electric SP130T that is set up with flux core wire. I have had it about 5 years. Both machines have performed flawlessly. I would plan on about 4-5 times the budget based on the links in your original post especially if you're demanding a dual voltage machine. You don't have to necessarily be in the red or blue camp unless you're welding every day. Some of the off brands (tweco, thermal arc, longevity, and everlast) have proven to produce great machines at a slightly lower price point than Miller, Hobart, and Lincoln. Any of the wire feed machines are easily transported and weld great on thinner metals.

I actually found that MIG welding was easier to do than the flux core and the gas isn't really that much money to purchase. As others have mentioned sometimes you can find a good deal in your local classifieds but I would plan on spending around $1500 for a dual voltage.
af88

Thanks everyone, I'm looking at the Hobart and Everlast product lines as well as Tweco. What i don't want to do is purchase something than regret it but my main concern is portability not so much cost b/c a good unit that is somewhat portable will last much longer and having a 3-1 type machine than I don't have to have multiple units for different type of welding. Still researching and will post up what I narrow it down to, to get everyone's opinion.
Artie F. Emm

I posted on another site today, where it seems there is this guy that follows people around and should they be so outrageously bold as to write a declarative sentence, maybe something like "The sky is blue", this guy will come back and say "Yeah, but it can also be grey or pink" just to be difficult. So in order to NOT be that guy, I'll say instead, check out the Everlast website, because the iMIG 200 is less than a grand. It's also the size of small suitcase, and about 35 pounds. I keep the MIG and TIG machines at the back of a closet- they take up little room.
Dave
aka "RTFM"
Boomer63
    Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:52 am

You will think that being able to weld up to 1/4" is great, and is enough, until it isn't and you really need more power. These underpowered machines are not worth it!
    Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:00 am

Here's what I don't get. The OP posted up that he was looking at two machines because of price point ($250). Suddenly he is looking at dual voltage MIG machines? What the heck happened to his price point? Was he even serious on the first post?
Multimatic 255
af88

The price point was for a stick welder, I'm not dead set on anything. I was a good unit that I won't outgrow and if that means spending more money so be it.
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

For new 120/240 volt stick/tig machines, I like my ESAB 161.

It's under $600 and works excellent :)

I have bigger, more expensive machines too, but the ESAB is a great portable.

I would not hesitate to buy tweco or thermal arc machines as well.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
montelatici
    Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:28 pm

I have used the same MIG wire feed machine for about 20-25 years and only recently bought and used an arc welder, the 140 Amp 230 volt version of the Stanley you are looking at. Arc/Stick welding is much more difficult in my opinion. The stick inverter machine is, however, much lighter and smaller, and that's a plus.

If it is your first welding machine I would go with a wire feed MIG. It is much more forgiving especially for the work you describe and for general use. Wouldn't worry about gas, once you get a hang of it, flux core wire works fine, just a bit more cleanup/grinder work is required. I bought gas when I bought the wire feed machine and when it ran out I bought flux core wire and never looked back.
af88

Thanks that is the plan to go with mig over stick. Looking at the options for 3-1.
Angusbass
    Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:49 pm

I recently purchased an Everlast 200st. Little box is a beast. I'm a starter just like you. Welder cost me $375. Does 200 amp Oma 240 connection. Also does the 120 connection as well. Done three BBQ pits with her and she rocks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:27 pm

MinnesotaDave wrote:For new 120/240 volt stick/tig machines, I like my ESAB 161.

It's under $600 and works excellent :)

I have bigger, more expensive machines too, but the ESAB is a great portable.

I would not hesitate to buy tweco or thermal arc machines as well.

I 2nd the Esab machines. I have had 2. A caddy 160 and a buddy 161 or so. Very good machines. Have welded 4 mm rods with it. They must be good because both got stolen from my shop on different occasions. ... :o