Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
PeterB
    Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:05 pm

I agree, you have improved!
I am a real newbie too, i put down my first beads just a few days ago.
Mine really looked like cat-crap at first, it was hard to get the arc going, heck it still is, but it is getting easier every time I pick up that stinger.

This evening I was out fiddling around with some 5/64 (2mm) 6013, I believe that I had the amperage setting at around 60 on my machine and I got easy starts, decent looking beads and the slag came of quite easy.

I admit that I have some problems too with getting them where I want them. Holding the rod with one hand just as you light up and start the bead is a good idea.

I am practicing stacking beads too and mine look roughly the same as yours so do not be discouraged. I am sure we will both get better with time and hours invested.

You got bigger cojones the me, I do not post pics of mine :lol: Nice to see your improvement.
ShaunBlake
    Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:03 pm

Louie1961 wrote:Actually, you may not see it, but those beads are an improvement over your first pictures...
Actually, I have seen an improvement, and was struck that two beads I ran seemed good enough to have earned an "Okay" from Jody. My frustration isn't so much that I don't do what you guys are suggesting; it's maddening that I think I'm doing one bitty thing (short arc, speed, whatever) the way you advised, and before I break the slag, I see it's FUBAR.

Louie1961 wrote:... I think you need more amps with those 7014's. I run them about 135-140 amps on my machine. Stick to the high end of the manufacturer's amp range...
Hmm... that's contrary to my inclination; I figured I needed to start colder and only crank up until I didn't stick. I'm grinding my pad down and will try from the high end.

Thanks!
ShaunBlake

Boomer63 wrote:Especially on the older, more rusty material, use your 6011 1/8" rod. Brush, grind and otherwise clean your metal before hand. As you practice work on achieving consistency, and an even look. As you watch various video, pay close attention to the rod ANGLES that different folks use...
Hmm... thanks, Boomer, I only think about my rod angle occasionally... actually, on rare occasions. I realize it plays a critical role in the weld, but I haven't learned how it influences the puddle yet. And re: the 6011s, I do grind before I start, at least I prep the "launching pad", although if the entire weld area is difficult to clean, I may not bother with more than what it takes to get a good puddle going.

Boomer63 wrote: PS - Should the issue of 'therapy' and a lot of seem to need it be on a separate thread?
Is this a test? What happens if I get it wrong? What do I get if I get it right?

"Actually", I think it requires three separate threads: one for discussion of the therapy; one for the discussion of the need for therapy; and one for the discussion of the seeming need of therapy.

Please FAX or email my reward in Guinness.
ShaunBlake

PeterB wrote:I agree, you have improved!
I am a real newbie too, i put down my first beads just a few days ago.
Mine really looked like cat-crap at first, it was hard to get the arc going, heck it still is, but it is getting easier every time I pick up that stinger.

This evening I was out fiddling around with some 5/64 (2mm) 6013, I believe that I had the amperage setting at around 60 on my machine and I got easy starts, decent looking beads and the slag came of quite easy.

I admit that I have some problems too with getting them where I want them. Holding the rod with one hand just as you light up and start the bead is a good idea.

I am practicing stacking beads too and mine look roughly the same as yours so do not be discouraged. I am sure we will both get better with time and hours invested.

You got bigger cojones the me, I do not post pics of mine :lol: Nice to see your improvement.
Peter, you seem to be progressing faster and farther than me. Youth has many advantages! As for brass parts, it isn't so much the size, it really comes down to the environment. I've discovered that this family is all about "upping" the little guy, the noob, the person who is struggling to get better.

I partly post my mess as self-flagellation, to humble myself; but mostly it's because I anticipate that someone will look, recognize signs of errors I'm making, and gently or even caustically inform me of it.

If you think my welds have improved, the credit goes to many more folk here than I can say, including AKweldshop, Louie1961, Boomer(almost Chicago, but not quite good enough), and many others.

I expect that you could get a huge benefit from posting pics of your pads if you dumped your shyness and trusted these folk to help you improve. That being said, as a very shy person myself, I can't fault you for not being able to do it. However, I do know that once you do, you will (rightly) berate yourself for not doing it sooner.
VincenzioVonHook
    Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:35 pm

well i was a little upset with my first beads ever on a stick welder this morning. Ran a butt with 6010 and a fillet with 6013. I think i got lucky with stick welding.
3/32 6010 75A buttweld 4mm steel
3/32 6010 75A buttweld 4mm steel
Butt_weld_6011[1].jpg (35.24 KiB) Viewed 810 times
3/32 6013, 85A 3mm flat bar T section
3/32 6013, 85A 3mm flat bar T section
fillet_1[1].jpg (30.8 KiB) Viewed 810 times
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Shaun what shade is the lense in you hood? Do you wear glasses ?
I have more questions than answers

Josh