Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
fitter33
    Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:52 pm

I'm eager to pick up a home welder so I can get some more practice in. My house has 40 amp service to the breaker. Are there any DC stock welders that I can run at home? If not, how about mig and or TIG? At school I've been working with 1/8" 6010 on a Lincoln Invertec 350.
ETA- My BIL told me I don't have enough amps to run a stick welder at home...
    Tue May 28, 2013 11:10 am
    Figuring the picking points of jelly donuts

I just got one of these a few months ago. It welds 6010 really nice 8-) . I wish it would wet out 7018 just a little bit more :roll: , but not to bad. I got it on Amazon FOB my front porch for $294.36
http://www.everlastgenerators.com/produ ... werarc-300
soutthpaw
    Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:14 pm

Anything that is inverter based up to about 250 amps should run fine.
dsmabe
    Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:50 pm

If you only have 40 amp service, in my opinion, it would be easy to overload your service.
If you have a older electrical electrical I would recommend updating you electrical service to include a minimum of a new run for a dedicated outlet for a welder.
The reason I recommend this is a older electrical system or overloading a electrical system is a high risk of fire. You may use the current wiring for years without trouble. But then again the first time you use a welder, you could overload the wiring, and have a fire start inside your walls. By the time you realize there's a fire, you could lose your home or even worse.
fitter33

dsmabe wrote:If you only have 40 amp service, in my opinion, it would be easy to overload your service.
If you have a older electrical electrical I would recommend updating you electrical service to include a minimum of a new run for a dedicated outlet for a welder.
The reason I recommend this is a older electrical system or overloading a electrical system is a high risk of fire. You may use the current wiring for years without trouble. But then again the first time you use a welder, you could overload the wiring, and have a fire start inside your walls. By the time you realize there's a fire, you could lose your home or even worse.
This is what I was afraid of. I'm currently renting, not sure if I want to pay for upgraded wiring
dsmabe

Most of the time if you do any upgrades to a rental property, as long as they are approved first, the landlord will deduct the cost from your rent. It might be something to look into.
fitter33

Shield Arc wrote:I just got one of these a few months ago. It welds 6010 really nice 8-) . I wish it would wet out 7018 just a little bit more :roll: , but not to bad. I got it on Amazon FOB my front porch for $294.36
http://www.everlastgenerators.com/produ ... werarc-300
That's a great looking welder. What amperage is your wiring that powers it?
    Tue May 28, 2013 11:10 am
    Figuring the picking points of jelly donuts

My inverter welders I use an extension cord, that is on a 65-amp breaker. My 1937 Lincoln IdealArc 300 is hard wired to a 90-amp breaker.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

580 odd bucks here in aus.
forrestderp
    Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:51 am

Ever consider buying a used generator welder? You can use em anywhere.
dsmabe

forrestderp wrote:Ever consider buying a used generator welder? You can use em anywhere.
I'd love to get my hands on one myself, I'd Mount it in the back of my truck!
fitter33

forrestderp wrote:Ever consider buying a used generator welder? You can use em anywhere.
I have actually. I have about a thousand dollar limit, so I don't know if that's feasible for a generator welder.
dsmabe

I've found 2 welders near me, $850 for one, and $550 for the other.
I found them in Craigslist.
dsmabe

Found 2 in Missouri right off. 1 in Kansas City Craigslist, a small Lincoln for about 500.
And a decent sized miller for 900 in Joplin Craigslist.
soutthpaw

fitter33 wrote:
I have actually. I have about a thousand dollar limit, so I don't know if that's feasible for a generator welder.
Hit up some local equipment auctions. They can be found under $1k.
forrestderp

fitter33 wrote:
If you are patient and keep a close eye on craigslist I bet you could nab something decent for that. http://duluth.craigslist.org/tls/4744585818.html
    Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:00 am

what's wrong with a Hobart Stickmate or Miller Thunderbolt. Max draw is 47 amps input at 230 amps output. I never weld above say 160 amps with 1/8th inch 6011 or 7018. A lincoln AC/DC 225 draws 50 amps max on AC and 36 amps max on DC. You might not get the absolute max out of your welder, but do you need 230 amps for learning to stick weld?
Multimatic 255
forrestderp

Louie1961 wrote:what's wrong with a Hobart Stickmate or Miller Thunderbolt. Max draw is 47 amps input at 23mone output. I never weld above say 160 amps with 1/8th inch 6011 or 7018. A lincoln AC/DC 225 draws 50 amps max on AC and 36 amps max on DC. You might not get the absolute max out of your welder, but do you need 230 amps for learning to stick weld?
More so that not everyone Has the power outlet and facility available, and once you factor in the electrician hooking it up you can be money ahead.
soutthpaw

Louie1961 wrote:what's wrong with a Hobart Stickmate or Miller Thunderbolt. Max draw is 47 amps input at 230 amps output. I never weld above say 160 amps with 1/8th inch 6011 or 7018. A lincoln AC/DC 225 draws 50 amps max on AC and 36 amps max on DC. You might not get the absolute max out of your welder, but do you need 230 amps for learning to stick weld?
A lincoln is only 125 and on DC and thunderbolt is 140 and on DC. 225amps is AC only. So you are equal or ahead with even the smallest Everlast stick welder at 140 amps. (I did own one of these). The 225ac lincoln was the first welder I ever owned.. good machine and that was before inverters were available.