Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
fitter33
    Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:52 pm

First off, I'd like to offer a heartfelt thanks to you guys for all the advice and tips you've given me so far, it's much appreciated :!: I'm currently working as a pre apprentice through the local pipefitters union, and I'm hoping to get in the September 2015 apprenticeship class. I'm taking a welding class at the hall that consists of one 3 hour class per week entirely hands on in a welding booth. I've also signed up for a welding technology class through St. Louis community college that starts in January of 2015. That will give me 3 nights and 7-10 hours of hood time per week, plus welding theory. My short term goal is to obtain my 3G plate structural steel certification by the end of next semester (June of 2015). Is this at all feasable after 5 months of welding? I'd also like to have my 6g pipe certs by September of 2015 to show the hall I'm serious about getting in the apprenticeship. I do plan on picking up a welder to practice at home some time in January of 2015 to get even more hood time. I've already decided even if I don't get in with the fitters, I want a career in welding. I absolutely love it!
    Tue May 28, 2013 11:10 am
    Figuring the picking points of jelly donuts

I can see where you will make your target date of June 2015 for the 3-G easily. The 6-G is an entirely different ball game!
Buying a welder is a big step forward! But you'll need a way to cut, and bevel your test plates. Then cut and bevel the pipe coupons.
fitter33
    Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:52 pm

Shield Arc wrote:I can see where you will make your target date of June 2015 for the 3-G easily. The 6-G is an entirely different ball game!
Buying a welder is a big step forward! But you'll need a way to cut, and bevel your test plates. Then cut and bevel the pipe coupons.
I'm glad to hear that, thanks. For the most part, I can prep my pipe coupons at work. I think a porta band and bench grinder will do for the plate coupons?
    Tue May 28, 2013 11:10 am
    Figuring the picking points of jelly donuts

Yes a port-a-band is a big help, and if you have a 9-inch grinder, it will put a bevel on plate pretty quick.
Get the 3-G down with a backing bar, then move into open root welding as soon as you can.
Most importantly, learn how to read the puddle, and learn how to anticipate what the puddle is going to do, so you can make corrections on the fly! ;)