Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
Justjake85
    Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:05 am

I am practicing for a pipe test. I have the uphill down. I am struggling with the downhill. I am noticing my slag running through my puddle and its throwing of my arc, my visibility, and my final bead. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Justjake85,
Welcome to the forum. How about a introduction and a little more information. What material, pipe or plate, rod etc?
-Jonathan
Justjake85

Superiorwelding wrote:Justjake85,
Welcome to the forum. How about a introduction and a little more information. What material, pipe or plate, rod etc?
-Jonathan
No problem. I am training to pass 6G test. I hope to go out to the oil field after I am confident with my training.
I have been welding MIG, TIG, Spray Arc and Dual Shield-structural for the past 8 years. Ive always wanted to geet into pipe but have never had the time or means to practice till now. I quit my job and enrolled at a trade school. Theey allowed me to enroll in just the pipe segment of the training and are giving me as much flexibility and time as I want/need.

Im practicing in 3G position on 3/8 plate. 30 bevel-60 angle, 1/8" root and 1/8" land. Root pass is going in just fine. So are my tie-ins. I was told structural pipe welds uphill and cross country pipe welds downhill. Well, I cant seem to get the downhill filler and cap to run the way I want it. I am using 3/32 7018 Excalibur rods. The slag just runs through the puddle and messes everything up. Am I using the wrong rod? Is there something I need to know that I am not doing?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Jake
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Never had the pleasure of trying Excaliber here - but I welded plenty of other 7018 - none I ever seen weld vertical down - I believe you are right that many pipeline welds are done vertical down for speed so XX10 series rods would seem the logical choice to be running & assume if there is a generic WPS for commonly used oil pipe it would be stated in that - for uphill on structural then yes 7018 or sometimes higher tensile variation would be used - I'm sure there are pipeline members who can clarify this - but if your practicing downhill I think you want XX10 rods.

Justjake85 wrote:
Superiorwelding wrote:Justjake85,
-Jonathan
No problem. I am training to pass 6G test. I hope to go out to the oil field after I am confident with my training.
I have been welding MIG, TIG, Spray Arc and Dual Shield-structural for the past 8 years. Ive always wanted to geet into pipe but have never had the time or means to practice till now. I quit my job and enrolled at a trade school. Theey allowed me to enroll in just the pipe segment of the training and are giving me as much flexibility and time as I want/need.

Im practicing in 3G position on 3/8 plate. 30 bevel-60 angle, 1/8" root and 1/8" land. Root pass is going in just fine. So are my tie-ins. I was told structural pipe welds uphill and cross country pipe welds downhill. Well, I cant seem to get the downhill filler and cap to run the way I want it. I am using 3/32 7018 Excalibur rods. The slag just runs through the puddle and messes everything up. Am I using the wrong rod? Is there something I need to know that I am not doing?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Jake
Jake,
Maybe you should have found a job before quitting one? :) ;)
If I am understanding your question correctly, you want to do 6G but are practicing on a 3G plate. While that I good, you need to get to a 6G practice piece as soon as you can. Running a 6010 straight down is a little different than on a 6G pipe. You need to train your body to move and compensate for the rod angle.
I don't know who told you about the up and down welds but that is not entirely correct. For example the pipeline will weld in both directions depending on the requirement and rods used (if any, think MIG). Your 7018 will not work properly nor pass a test going down, unless it is a undercut cover pass.There are special 7018's designed for down you could use. For ASME 9 it is accepted to do a 6010 down, 7018 up for the 6G test. Weld uphill with the 7018 and things will work better for you.
This is a start, any more questions please ask.
-Jonathan
Justjake85

[/quote]
Jake,
Maybe you should have found a job before quitting one? :) ;)
If I am understanding your question correctly, you want to do 6G but are practicing on a 3G plate. While that I good, you need to get to a 6G practice piece as soon as you can. Running a 6010 straight down is a little different than on a 6G pipe. You need to train your body to move and compensate for the rod angle.
I don't know who told you about the up and down welds but that is not entirely correct. For example the pipeline will weld in both directions depending on the requirement and rods used (if any, think MIG). Your 7018 will not work properly nor pass a test going down, unless it is a undercut cover pass.There are special 7018's designed for down you could use. For ASME 9 it is accepted to do a 6010 down, 7018 up for the 6G test. Weld uphill with the 7018 and things will work better for you.
This is a start, any more questions please ask.
-Jonathan[/quote]

Fortunately, I made enough as a GC to not work a while. I have some jobs lined up for the fall so I am not worried about it.

Yes, I am practicing on plate. I agree on practicing on pipe vs plate but due to some of the structure of the schooling they asked I go through open root on plate before I can move on to pipe (I think they are worried about material cost-pipe is more costly than plate for practice). Besides, its only a week of plate.

Do you have and specs used in pipe WPS? Anywhere you could point me that could answer a practical question of what kind of potential situations I will see in the field? This gives me a realistic expectation of what I need to know ahead of time and what I can be prepping myself for.
    Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:34 am

Something like this? https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... w1C9uobX7g

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk
Justjake85

79jasper wrote:Something like this? https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... w1C9uobX7g

Yes, but, I am also looking for a WPS for open root 6010 pass, preferably downhill. I have the uphill down, just a little grey on what exactly they demand of the downhill. Fill and cap with 6010? What about undercut since that rod digs like crazy? Or, 6010 root downill and 7018 fill/cap?

Any pipeline welders please feel free to chime in and give your experience as to what you encounter in the field. Same goes for shop welders. I would like to see what kinds of procedures people come across out there in the practical working world.

Thanks,

Jake

Justjake85 wrote:
79jasper wrote:Something like this? https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... w1C9uobX7g

Yes, but, I am also looking for a WPS for open root 6010 pass, preferably downhill. I have the uphill down, just a little grey on what exactly they demand of the downhill. Fill and cap with 6010? What about undercut since that rod digs like crazy? Or, 6010 root downill and 7018 fill/cap?

Any pipeline welders please feel free to chime in and give your experience as to what you encounter in the field. Same goes for shop welders. I would like to see what kinds of procedures people come across out there in the practical working world.

Thanks,

Jake
Jake,
These are the welding tests for the UA's tests. Test UA-21 and UA-28 will be a good start for you.
http://www.pftf597.org/training/welding-certifications/
-Jonathan
forrestderp
    Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:51 am

This may be kinda late, but I run all my root passes on pipe downhill with 6010. 7018 you can forget about running downhill, doesn't work, you will also run into 7010 and 8010 if you are planning a career in pipe, you should also be able to run both uphill and downhill with any of those rods. My fitter is a doofus so I will prep a joint and weld it out for you sometime this weekend and take some pics of what you should be looking for.
-Sean